Skip to main content


12:47 13th December 2010

Crystal Palace 0 Hull City 0

Palace missed the opportunity to climb out of the relegation zone after being held to a 0-0 draw by fellow strugglers Hull.

With Middlesbrough and Preston winning their games earlier in the day, the clash against Hull gained even more importance, but although Palace dominated the second-half they couldn't break through a resolute Hull defence.

Paddy McCarthy and Owen Garvan returned to the starting line-up but Darren Ambrose missed out with a knee injury as Palace looked to make it four wins out of four at home.

The game started slowly with both teams failing to settle into any sort of a rhythm. Richard Garcia's strong running was looking to cause problems in behind Claude Davis but the Palace defence coped well with the early threat.

James Vaughan then appeared to pick up an injury on 17 minutes and there was a worry that his Palace career would end with him hobbling off, but as it was he returned to the fray.

Vaughan though was unable to have much of an impact on the game as Hull took a stranglehold on the midfield.

Robert Koren and Nicky Barmby then began to pull the strings with both Claude Davis and Paddy McCarthy having to be at their best to clear.

Half an hour in and Palace came to life, first Counago did well to find Zaha who blazed over from the edge of the box. The Spaniard then had a shot himself from a similar range but it was too close to Mannone.

Jay Simpson replaced Richard Garcia after half an hour, with the visitors perhaps hoping his pace would open up the Palace defence, and Hull were forced into another change just three minutes later when Anthony Gerrard was replaced by Paul McShane.

Palace began to exert their influence as the first half drew to a close and with five minutes left, Counago squared for James Vaughan who should have marked his last appearance with a goal but he was unable to hit the target from 12 yards.

Minutes later, Neil Danns broke into the box and found Counago whose goal-bound effort was brilliantly blocked by Kamil Zayatte. Danns was then brought down just outside the box but Vaughan's effort from the free-kick flew over.

Jay Simpson should then have broken the deadlock for Hull when he broke through but his shot was too close to Speroni who saved well.

Vaughan bravely played on into the second half but after just two minutes of that he was forced to go off and was replaced by the returning Sean Scannell.

Neil Danns

Palace began to come to life, with first Zaha doing well to beat his man on the wing, drawing a good save from Vito Mannone with a stinging shot.

Then, Alassane N'Diaye's curling effort from 25 yards almost broke the deadlock but it flew inches wide. Another clever bit of trickery from Zaha got him into the box but again his shot was too close to Mannone.

A good bit of skill from Pablo Counago then ended with him firing over and then brilliant work from Nathaniel Clyne ended with another N'Diaye effort being palmed away by the impressive Mannone.

With just one minute left, the best chance of the game fell to Neil Danns who saw his sidefoot finish brilliantly blocked and when the rebound fell to Counago he steadied himself well but couldn't hit the target.

A goal looked on the cards but it wasn't to be as both teams had to settle for a point, with Palace 'keeper Julian Speroni untroubled throughout his first appearance since signing a new three and a half year deal.

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Clyne, Wright, Davis, McCarthy, Danns, Garvan, N'Diaye, Zaha (Obika), Counago, Vaughan (Scannell)

Subs Not Used: Price, Barrett, Dorman, Bennett, O'Keefe

Hull: Mannone, Zayatte, Dawson, Ashbee, Garcia (Simpson), Harper, Barmby (Kilbane), Koren, Gerrard (McShane), Rosenior, Stewart

Subs Not Used: Duke, Bostock, Solano, Cullen

Bookings: Dawson, Koren

Att: 13,341 (699) Referee: Mr S Tanner

    Data provided by Press Association