Skip to main content


20:59 18th October 2011

Crystal Palace 1 Bristol City 0

Glenn Murray's penalty was enough to see Palace climb into the play-off places after a hard fought victory over a dogged Bristol City side at Selhurst.

Dougie Freedman made three changes to the side that defeated Watford as Anthony Gardner, Mile Jedinak and Darren Ambrose came into the side against struggling Bristol City.

It was Saturday's hero Wilfried Zaha though who almost started where he left off at Vicarage Road flashing a left-footed shot just wide from 25 yards. The visitors had the better of the opening period with Albert Adomah flashing an effort over the bar and Cole Skuse getting forward well from right back inside the first 20 minutes.

Sean Scannell's trickery then won a free-kick for the Eagles 20 yards out but Ambrose strike was comfortably saved low down by David James and the visitors threatened occasionally on the break but otherwise the game was quiet inside the first half hour. Zaha had been the main spark and his skills nearly broke the deadlock as he beat Ryan McGivern and found Ambrose, who curled his effort narrowly wide when well placed.

Ambrose then almost opened the scoring twice more in quick succession. First hammering home on the volley from 35 yards - an effort that was disallowed for handball in the build up - and then, when David James rushed off his line to intercept a pass, he lobbed an effort goalwards that just went over the bar.

The sides went into the break at half-time level despite Palace's late pressing as Jonathan Parr's late introduction for the injured Peter Ramage was the only action at the end of the first period.

The second half began with Zaha and Scannell linking well but the former just over-ran the ball and Palace threatened again when Parr's cross found Murray whose strike was deflected over.

City had threatened rarely but almost scored on a rare attack as Damien Stewart rose highest to head just wide from a corner, while Freedman brought on Jonny Williams as Palace pushed for the win.

Zaha and Scannell linked up again and the young English striker found the back of the net, only for the play to be brought back for offside as Palace saw a second goal disallowed.

Williams introduction then paid off as the young midfielder went down under Lewin Nyatanga's challenge for a penalty. Murray stepped up and calmly sent the ball down the middle as Palace took a deserved lead. The Eagles striker almost doubled that lead soon later but couldn't control Williams cross from the right as the clock ticked down.

The final whistle blew not long after with the result enough to see Palace move up into fifth as they made it four games unbeaten.


Crystal Palace: 1. Julian Speroni, 2. Nathaniel Clyne, 3. David Wright, 5. Patrick McCarthy (c), 6. Anthony Gardner, 7. Darren Ambrose (20. Jonathan Williams '57), 11. Sean Scannell (8. Kagisho Dikgacoi '82), 15. Mile Jedinak, 16. Wilfried Zaha, 17. Glenn Murray, 38. Peter Ramage (4. Jonathan Parr '45)

Subs Not Used: 34. Lewis Price,19. Jermaine Easter

Bristol City: 1. David James, 5. Lewin Nyatanga, 7. Marvin Elliott (c), 8. Neil Kilkenny, 10. Nicky Maynard (34. Brett Pitman '77), 14. Cole Skuse, 20. Jamal Campbell-Ryce, 21. Kalifa Cisse (12. Ryan Taylor '82), 27. Albert Adomah, 35. Damien Stewart, 36. Ryan McGivern

Subs Not Used: 22. Dean Gerken, 2. Jordan Spence, 18. James Wilson

Bookings: Kilkenny, Maynard

Att : 11,869 (441)

    Data provided by Press Association