Although Crystal Palace Football Club was founded back in 1905, it wasn’t until 1940s that club crests became a requirement, as they were never used on kits until then. In the modern day, badges are used not just on kits, but on merchandise, matchday programmes and signage around the stadium.
The club’s first ever club crest was unveiled in the late 1940s, featuring an image of the Crystal Palace with a claret and blue shield on the front – colours that mirrored those of the club’s kit at the time.
By 1955, a new badge was brought in to update the image of the club as a whole. Instead of a basic image of the Crystal Palace, the new crest was a white and black image of the large glass building, with the words Crystal Palace F.C underneath. The club used this logo for around 17 years.
Crystal Palace changed their crest again in 1972, when the club decided to hold a competition among fans, allowing them to decide how the club's badge would look. Supporters picked on a completely fresh idea in comparison to the club’s previous two crests, choosing a large red ring carrying the letters ‘CP’ in the centre. The words ‘Crystal Palace F.C.’ also featured, as did the club’s nickname at the time, 'The Glaziers'.
But when Malcolm Allison was appointed manager just a year later, he embarked on a radical change of image at Selhurst Park, which included the launching of another new crest. The badge that resulted from this mammoth period of rebranding was a large eagle perched on a football, with the name of the club and image of the Crystal Palace also taking pride of place.
This full version of the crest was not actually displayed on the club's kits until 1987. Until then they had used an adapted version, which consisted of a circle containing the different elements.
In the 1980s, Ron Noades took over as chairman and decided he wanted to change the club’s badge again – creating a crest that was used until June 2013. Noades deemed that the image of the bird used in the club’s badge looked more like a phoenix then an eagle, so the image was changed to a more aggressive looking eagle. This crest was adopted from 1994 onwards.
The latest club badge, which was revealed in May 2013, was designed with the 1973 crest in mind. The towers, glass building and eagle were all retained in the design, with the badge given a fresher, modern feel thanks to the use of modern technology, with a simplified version depicting just the eagle and the ball being used on casual clothing and other merchandise.