Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

07 January 2019 Venue Crystal Palace Training Ground Attendance

Kick off 13:00 (UK)

Crystal Palace U23
1 - 1
Cardiff City U23

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U23s Report: Crystal Palace 1-1 Cardiff City

7 January 2019

Crystal Palace Under-23s ground-out a tight point from Cardiff City today in an evenly fought, if scrappy, match at a chilled Beckenham training ground.

The game's opening exchanges saw a tight and closely-fought affair enacted, with neither team creating any chances to seriously threaten the other.

The first opportunity to break the deadlock fell to the visitors when Dion Henry was forced to race from his box to deny Mark Harris a shooting chance with a strong, well-timed challenge.

The Eagles were able to respond, however, and weren't to be put on the back foot when TQ Addy found himself with space on the right edge of the box, only to strike the ball inches over the bar from 10 yards. 

Re-launching their own attack at the other end of the pitch, Cardiff were again to watch in frustration as Harris was denied by red and blue legs when Ollie O'Dwyer hit the turf to prevent him from breaking through one on one with Henry.

O'Dwyer with involved with the action again minutes later, though this time in a different role as his towering header at goal was blocked close to the line by a City defender. Returning to his defensive duties, O'Dwyer was then cautioned for a crunching challenge at the edge of the Palace box, resulting in a free-kick which was struck with venom but hit clear by Nya Kirby.

Closing the first half's proceedings, Gio McGregor drove from midfield to rifle a shot low and hard at the Bluebird's goal, but saw visiting 'keeper Matt Hall get down low to his right with purpose and place a strong glove behind the ball to tip it around the post.

Cardiff resumed play after half-time in smart fashion as Quivi Fowler whipped the ball from the edge of the box high to Henry's right, forcing the flying shot-stopper to watch as it curl inside his post.

Having gone a goal down, Palace were momentarily on the back foot when Harris broke into the Eagles' box to force Henry into a strong reflex save. 

Resuming their authority in the game, Palace then began to attack with their own sense of purpose. O'Dwyer again met the ball well with his head but could only put it over the bar from an inswinging corner. However, a while later and shot-stopper Hall mis-punched a ball which fell to a swinging Woods, who, on the turn, volleyed home with precision.

With the scores level, the game became a close battle between both sides and each had a share of half-chances, though neither would go on to extend their tally.

As the match wound to a close, however, drama struck when Jack Bodenham was sent off by referee Dean Skipper.

Palace: Henry, Tavares, Mitchell, Kirby, O'Dwyer, Woods, Addy (Dreher 59 (Boateng 84)), Flanagan, Street, McGregor (Pierrick59), Lumeka.

Subs not used: Tupper, Hungbo.

Cardiff: Hall, McKay, Martin, Humphries, Brown, Bodenham, Wootton, Fowler (Warnock 75), Harris (Davies 65), Waite, Evans.

Subs not used: Burwood, Pryce.

For all of the post-match reaction, head over to Palace TV. Or, if you're reading in the app, just click 'Palace TV'.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block