Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Palace 2 Blackpool 2

8 December 2012

Palace were forced to settle for a share of the spoils at Selhurst Park as Noah Dicko's late equaliser gave the visitors the point their performance probably deserved despite the Eagles' excellent second half display.

The visitors started much the brighter with Nathan Delfouneso looking particularly dangerous down the left-wing and Wes Thomas keeping Damien Delaney's hands full. It was the young striker who had the first chance of the game, firing an acrobatic effort wide but that was only the start of Blackpool's dominance in the first half.

Alex Baptiste and Tom Ince both won corners as the Palace defence continued to stand firm in the face of pressure, before Wilfried Zaha almost latched onto Owen Garvan's clever through-ball, only to be denied by Matt Gilks rushing from his line. Zaha's trickery soon saw the first player booked, as Angel Martinez saw yellow for a late challenge but the Seasiders continued to dominate possession and territory with Delaney at his best to deny the live-wire Ince with a sliding challenge.

Thomas, boosted by his first Blackpool goal against Peterborough, looked full of confidence but would have been disappointed as he took advantage of a mix-up to race clear of the Palace defence only to slice his shot badly wide. The Seasiders soon had the lead their display deserved as Ince drifted infield and clipped a cross to the back post for Delfouneso to nod home. Still Michael Appleton's side poured forward and Thomas headed Delfouneso's cross wide when it looked easier to score as the visitors took a 1-0 lead into the interval after a dominating display.

Ian Holloway's half-time words were probably the harshest of his time at the club so far and they almost had the desired effect immediately as Yannick Bolasie created a half-chance for Glenn Murray who couldn't keep his shot down. Ince, continued to find space for the visitors though as he drifted in off the flanks and was a little unfortunate to see his effort deflect wide off the excellent Peter Ramage. 

Palace broke upfield from the corner though and scored from almost nothing as Bolasie's wicked inswinging cross found Garvan in the perfect place to head past Gilks. Suddenly the wind was behind Palace and Zaha's trickery won another free-kick and Garvan almost got his second only to see his curled effort come back off the bar. And then the Eagles took the lead, Zaha and Garvan again the creators as the Irishman's whipped centre found Murray who finished with aplomb to take his season's tally to 18.

In a complete reversal to the first half it was Palace who were doing all the attacking and a barnstorming run from Bolasie nearly made it three as the winger beat three men with ease and found Murray who was denied by the excellent Gilks.

That looked to be that after a fantastic second half performance from Palace but there was a late twist in the tale as Blackpool substitute Dicko reacted quickest to Wes Thomas' pull-back to slam home the equaliser and give his side a share of the points in the dying minutes.

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Parr, Bolasie (Moxey 90), Dikgacoi, Garvan, Blake (Moritz 56), Jedinak (c), Zaha, Murray, Delaney, Ramage

Subs: Price, Wilbraham, Easter, O'Keefe, Gabbidon

Bookings: Bolasie, Blake, Jedinak

Blackpool: Gilks, Crainey, Gomes (Dicko 73), Ince, Baptiste (c), Osbourne, Cathcart, Angel (Sylvestre 73), Thomas, Delfouneso (Phillips 88), Broadfoot

Subs: Halstead, Eardley, Harris, Eccleston

Bookings: Angel, Crainey, Cathcart, Baptiste

Advertisement block