Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Barnsley 1-1 Palace

23 October 2012

Having seen Dougie Freedman depart hours earlier, only a late goal from Barnsley's David Perkins prevented Crystal Palace from picking up all three points at Oakwell.

Glenn Murray's early goal had put the visitors in front but Perkins scored a fine goal five minutes from time to share the points as Palace ended a tumultuous couple of days with their unbeaten run still intact.

Lennie Lawrence and Curtis Fleming temporarily took the reins of the Eagles and made three enforced changes from the side that drew with Millwall three days earlier. Jonathan Parr and Andre Moritz replaced the suspended Dean Moxey and Wilfried Zaha, and Joel Ward came in for Darcy Blake who was only fit enough to make the bench. 

Palace started brilliantly and after Owen Garvan's left footed shot was touched past the post by Ben Alnwick, Murray had a great chance to open the scoring when he ran onto a Yannick Bolasie centre but couldn't keep his shot down.

However the home side didn't learn their lesson and after 10 minutes Murray buried a similar chance after a well worked move. Moritz found Parr down the left flank and the Norway international got past John Stones and slotted the ball across for the box for Murray to simply tap home.

Palace's top scorer was everywhere and tested Alnwick with a header from a Garvan corner a minute later before blocking a goal-bound effort from Marlon Harewood on the line.

Barnsley had struggled to get into the game but created a few chances before the break, the best of which came on 21 minutes when Matt Done forced Julian Speroni into a diving save. 

The home side continued to push for an equaliser as Stephen Dawson miscued a volley and Marlon Harewood and Jacob Mellis both shot straight at the Argentinian keeper, who ended the first half of his 250th league appearance for Palace unbeaten.

Following the interval Palace continued to soak up pressure from the Tykes comfortably whilst attempting to hit their opponent on the counter attack, with the ball taking up residence in the middle of the pitch.

A drab half finally sparked into life on 75 minutes when substitute Danny Rose fired over the Palace crossbar and Kagisho Dikgacoi's attempted cross smacked the frame of the Barnsley goal.

However with the visitors getting deeper and deeper an equaliser arrived on 85 minutes when Perkins picked up the ball 25 yards from the Palace goal, and took a touch before bending the ball past Speroni into the top corner of the net.

With the home fans urging their side on, Palace had to defend doggedly in the final few minutes but managed to hold onto a point as life after Freedman began with a draw.

Barnsley: Alnwick, Stones, Wiseman, Golbourne, Foster,Dawson (Rose 66), Cywka (Etuhu 29), Dagnall (Done 16), Mellis, Perkins, Harewood. Subs not used: Steele, Hassell. Kennedy, McNulty.

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Parr, Bolasie, Dikgacoi, Garvan, Jedinak, Murray, Delaney, Ramage, Moritz (O'Keefe 80). Subs noted used: Price, Wright, Martin, Blake, Wilbraham, Easter 

Advertisement block