Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/09/2012

29 September 2012

Match Report

Bolton and Crystal Palace met each other for the first time in eight years at The Reebok Stadium and following their comeback from two down last week Dougie Freedman made two changes from that side.

Owen Garvan and Joel Ward came in for Andre Moritz and the injured Peter Ramage to the starting eleven as the visitors looked to extend their four match unbeaten run.

Palace had the better of the first half and were unfortunate not to have the advantage at the break. In the opening minute Wilfried Zaha was put through by Mile Jedinak and the striker's shot was turned around the post by Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan.

After another chance, this time Yannick Bolasie shooting wide of the target, the opening side had their first chances of the afternoon. David Ngog heading wide and then Chris Eagles puts a free kick just over the bar from the edge of the area.

On 21 minutes Zaha's tricky footwork helped him get the better of his man and win a corner that fell to Owen Garvan who saw his header saved by Bogdan from close range.

Just before the half hour mark the referee waved away penalty appeals as Garvan's shot struck Matt Mills and it looked as though the shouts were for hand ball but Palace didn't get a positive response.

Palace continued to have the better of the chances and Glenn Murray had a good chance in front of goal but with his back to goal couldn't get the opportunity on target.

Another penalty appeal was soon being asked at the other end as Mark Davies header went into the box but the home crowd and players got the same answer from the referee as their opponents did earlier.

Brave defending from Damien Delaney on 35 minutes when he put in a brave block at just the right time as Ngog tried to get on the end of an excellent cross from Eagles.

More danger from Zaha as he beats two men and manages to get the shot in from an acute angle that the keeper Bogdan pushes away.

The end of the first half saw more brave defending in the Palace box as Darcy Blake got in the way as Kevin Davies and Eagles both had efforts on the visitors goal.

In stoppage time the best chance of the half for Palace as Murray got ahead of his man and got on the end of a cross and was just inches wide of making the most of his sides first half pressure.

The first shot at goal in the second period came from distance by Ngog from fully 35 yards out while at the other end Kevin Davies has to get back in his own box to clear a header over the bar to deny Bolasie who got the cross in.

The home side had a couple of chances as the half developed, Eagles won a corner as tried to get on the end of Spearing's cross and then Speroni saved well from a Mark Davies shot.

With twenty five minutes of the match remaining Eagles free kick was moved on by Mills and Speroni saved a close range effort from Kevin Davies as the Bolton captain tried to break the deadlock.

A great run forward from Zaha created a chance for himself as he got in on goal and chose to shoot

and Bogdan had to bring off a save to give Palace another goal and stop what would have been a fine individual effort.

The striker was soon involved again as Zaha got himself in the box and was fouled by defender Zat Knight and the referee this time pointed to the spot. For the third time in two games Murray made no mistake from the spot as he fired the ball into the roof of the net to break the deadlock.

Zaha soon beat Knight again but this time he put the ball across the face of goal and no one was able to touch the ball into the net as it came across the danger area.

In five minutes of added time the home side had just the one chance as Chung-Yong Lee shot just over the bar but Freedman's side kept any threat out and took all three points as they recorded their fourth victory in five games.  


Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Mears, Mills, Knight, Warnock, Davies, Spearing, Andrews (Petrov 70), Eagles (Yong-Lee 80), Davies, N'Gog (Sordell 80)

Subs not used: Lonergan, Ream, Ricketts, Pratley, 

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Delaney, Blake, Parr (Moxey 64), Dikgacoi, Jedinak, Garvan, Bolasie (Williams 75), Zaha, Murray. 

Subs not used:  Price, Martin, Goodwillie, Wilbraham, Moritz. 

Att: 16,727  Referee: Mr G Eltrigham

Advertisement block