Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bolton 0-1 Palace

29 September 2012

Bolton and Crystal Palace met each other for the first time in eight years at The Reebok Stadium and following their comeback from two down last week Dougie Freedman made two changes.


Owen Garvan and Joel Ward came in for Andre Moritz and the injured Peter Ramage as the visitors looked to extend their four match unbeaten run.


Palace had the better of the first half and were unfortunate not to have the advantage at the break. In the opening minute Wilfried Zaha was put through by Mile Jedinak and the forward's shot was turned around the post by Bolton goalkeeper Adam Bogdan.


After another chance, this time Yannick Bolasie shooting wide of the target, the home side had their first chances of the afternoon. David Ngog heading wide and then Chris Eagles put a free-kick just over the bar from the edge of the area.


On 21 minutes Zaha's tricky footwork helped him get the better of his man and win a corner that fell to Owen Garvan, who saw his header saved by Bogdan from close range.


Just before the half hour mark the referee waved away penalty appeals as Garvan's shot struck Matt Mills and Palace continued to have the better of the chances as Glenn Murray found himself well positioned in front of goal but with his back to goal the in-form striker couldn't get his effort on target.


Another penalty appeal was soon being called for at the other end as Mark Davies’ header went into a crowd of players in the box but the home crowd and players got the same answer from the referee as their opponents had moments earlier.


And the game stayed deadlocked at 0-0 thanks to brave defending from Damien Delaney on 35 minutes as he put in a brave block at just the right time as Ngog tried to get on the end of an excellent cross from Eagles.


The end of the first half saw more strong defending in the Palace box as Darcy Blake put in two strong blocks as Kevin Davies and Eagles both had efforts on the visitors’ goal.


In stoppage time the best chance of the half fell to Palace as Murray got ahead of his man and on the end of a cross and was just inches wide of making the most of his side's first half pressure.


The first shot at goal in the second period came from distance from Ngog from 35 yards out, while at the other end Kevin Davies had to get back in his own box to clear a header over the bar to deny Bolasie.


A jinking run forward then saw Zaha create a chance for himself as he forced Bogdan into a fine save to thwart what would have been a fine individual effort.



The winger was soon involved again, tricking his way in the box only to be upended by defender Zat Knight. And for the third time in two games Murray made no mistake from the spot as he fired the ball into the roof of the net to break the deadlock.


In five minutes of added time the home side had just the one chance as Lee Chung-Yong shot just over the bar but Freedman's side kept any threat out and took all three points as they recorded their fourth victory in five games. 


Bolton Wanderers: Bogdan, Mears, Mills, Knight, Warnock, Davies, Spearing, Andrews (Petrov 70), Eagles (Yong-Lee 80), Davies, N'Gog (Sordell 80)


Subs not used: Lonergan, Ream, Ricketts, Pratley


Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Delaney, Blake, Parr (Moxey 64), Dikgacoi, Jedinak, Garvan, Bolasie (Williams 75), Zaha, Murray. 


Subs not used:  Price, Martin, Goodwillie, Wilbraham, Moritz. 


Att: 16,727 Referee: Mr G Eltrigham

Advertisement block