Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Development Report: CPFC 2-0 Reading

15 April 2013

A first-half brace from Kwesi Appiah was enough for Palace's development side to secure an impressive 2-0 victory against league leaders Reading at their Beckenham training ground.

Both goals saw the striker sneak in at the back post at corner kicks as he continues to shine at this level, and they ultimately ended up being the difference in a deserved victory for the Eagles.

It didn't take long for the 22 year old to celebrate finding the back of the net as the game's opening goal came after just three minutes. On-loan winger Alex Nimely swung over a dangerous corner which evaded everyone except for Appiah who was in just the right place to tap the ball in from close range and hand his side the perfect start.

Gary Issott had the pleasure of naming a strong front three with Appiah and Nimely joined in attack by Aruna Dindane, and four minutes later Nimely had a golden chance to double the lead but Jonathan Henly in the Royals' goal managed to stick out a leg to prevent the winger netting a one-on-one chance.

Nimely's game was ended abruptly when he was forced off after just 12 minutes after tweaking a hamstring but Henly was soon in action again when he had to get down low to push Hiram Boateng's goalbound effort from the edge of the box.

However a second did come just before the half-hour mark when Boateng's corner was met by a glancing header by Ryan Inniss, and Appiah was on hand to ensure the ball ended in the back of the net from a yard out to establish a two goal cushion.

Plenty of chances were carved out in the opening half and moments after falling further behind, the Royals almost reduced the deficit when Aaron Tshibola saw a blast narrowly miss the target before Connor Dymond went close after some good work by the energetic Matt Parsons down the left flank.

It was the away side that finished the half stronger though as Jordan Obika and Gozien Ugwu both spurned good chances to give them a foothold back in the game, but they went even closer three minutes after the restart when Pierce Sweeney's header crashed off the crossbar and didn't cross the line. 

Appiah was inches away from sealing the win and his hat-trick on 50 minutes when he broke through on goal and slipped the ball past Henly but watched it agonisingly trickle past the far post, and 20 minutes later saw a volley fly just off target from an Ibra Sekajja cross, with Kadell Daniel also unlucky to see a shot just miss the far post the despairing dive of Henly.

The third goal just wouldn't come for Palace as Matthew Harriott rattled the woodwork with a thumper from 25 yards with 15 minutes remaining but Reading had two great opportunities to make a late rally. Firstly Obita's cross eluded all his team-mates in the box but almost snuck past Ross Fitzsimons, and Ugwu embarrassingly missed a guilt-edge chance from six yards that he somehow managed to steer over the bar as the Eagles coasted home to secure their second win of the new league phase.

Palace: Fitzsimons, Akuruka, Parsons, Boateng, Wynter, Inniss (Harriott 73), Sekajja, Dymond, Appiah, Dindane (Daniel 62), Nimely (Allassani 12).

Reading: Henly, Arnold, Partridge, Tshibola (Tanner 90), Sweeney, Keown, Edwards (Ikpeazu 60), Taylor, Ugwu, Samuel, Obita.


Advertisement block