Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/12/2013

7 December 2013

Palace completed a week to remember as they picked up a second basement battle victory in four days with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Cardiff City at Selhurst.

Just like Tuesday night a Palace striker netted against his former employers as Cameron Jerome registered his first Eagles goal and a fine strike from Marouane Chamakh sealed three points that put Tony Pulis' side within goal difference of clawing themselves out of the relegation zone.

The game started at a frantic pace and both sides had early opportunities. The visitors nearly got on the scoresheet as early as the second minute when a dangerous Cowie cross found Fraizer Campbell who did well to head the ball goalwards but Julian Speroni produced a superb reaction save to force the ball over the crossbar.

That save proved vital as four minutes later the Selhurst crowd were jubilant. Jerome dribbled the ball into the area but saw his initial chance to shoot blocked by Ben Turner, but it fell nicely for Jason Puncheon and a neat turn gave him the space he needed to cross and the former Bluebirds striker headed the ball downwards into the net.

Lifted by the early goal, Pulis' side bossed the opening half hour and Barry Bannan and Puncheon both saw blasts fly into the Whitehorse Lane end, but despite being in control of the game the Eagles couldn't quite produce a chance of note to trouble David Marshall for the rest of the half and were dealt a blow when Dean Moxey limped off and was replaced by Adrian Mariappa.

Jerome was being a constant handfull and nearly doubled the lead when he burst forward, cut inside and shot towards goal, and after deflection off Kevin Theophile Catherine Marshall did brilliantly to get down and palm the ball away from the bottom corner.

But just 13 minutes after the restart the Eagles clinched the second goal they deserved. Another threatening cross by Bannan was only cleared as far as Chamakh, and brimming with confidence he controlled the ball on his chest before cutting the ball with the outside of the boot into the bottom corner to score his second goal in four days.

Pushing for more goals, man of the match Jerome continued to bully the Cardiff defenders and after seeing another shot deflect wide he was millimetres from doubling his tally when he flicked goalwards after a Kagisho Dikgacoi header, but according to the Goal Decision System Marshall had managed to scoop enough of the ball away.

With 10 minutes remaining the striker screwed wide after a Bannan cut-back and Puncheon drove straight at Marshall but the points had been made safe much earlier thanks to Palace's deadly duo.

Palace: Speroni, Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey (Mariappa 25), Dikgacoi, Jedinak, Bannan (O'Keefe 82), Puncheon, Chamakh, Jerome. Subs: Price, Williams, Kebe, Gayle, Phillips.

Cardiff: Marshall, Theophile-Catherine, Caulker, Turner, John, Medel, Bo-Kyung (Odemwingie 60), Whittingham, Mutch, Cowie (Noone 46), Campbell (Cornelius 68). Subs: Lewis, Connolly, Hudson, Gunnarsson. 

Advertisement block