Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


2 February 2013

In a cliched game of two halves Palace came from behind to beat south London rivals Charlton, with Glenn Murray's second half double enough to make Ricardo Fuller's first half finish academic and move the Eagles to within two points of second placed Leicester City.

The Addicks began the game on the front foot though with Jazz Richards on his home debut twice doing well to turn crosses behind as Charlton threatened down the right with Chris Solly to the fore.

Palace looked sluggish early on with only two or three glimpses of quality in the first 20 minutes. The best of those came when Jacob Butterfield brought the ball down beautifully and sent a through-ball Yannick Bolasie's way, which ran through to Ben Hamer in the Addicks goal, and moments later as Wilfried Zaha beat Solly down the right to set pulses racing around Selhurst, only for Solly to recover to make a perfectly timed tackle.

At the other end Richards, probably the Eagles best performer in a disappointing first half, again did well to thwart Johnnie Jackson who almost latched onto Fuller's clever pass. The visitors pressure soon paid dividend as Fuller wriggled free down the Palace left and beat Peter Ramage before firing through Julian Speroni's legs.

It should have been two for Chris Powell's side minutes later as Speroni could only palm Jackson's corner out from under his crossbar and Leon Cort sent his header over the bar from no more than four yards. Still Powell's side looked the better outfit and a wonderful flowing move soon saw them go close again. This time Cedric Evina overlapped down the left and his whipped cross was cleverly headed back into Jackson's path by Laurie Wilson, but the Charlton captain could only nod his effort over with the goal at his mercy.

After a poor first half, Palace came out of the traps much quicker in the second period, with half-time substitute Kevin Phillips immediately a threat. His clever link-up with Zaha saw the winger poke an effort narrowly wide in the opening stages, before Palace began to get up a head of steam. Damien Delaney's long ball was knocked down by Murray and Phillips controlled well only to see Hamer produce an excellent save low down.

The Eagles then should have been level as Zaha beat Morrison with ease and Stuart O'Keefe's diving header from the cut-back went agonisingly wide. The pressure soon told though as substitute Stephen Dobbie wriggled free of the Charlton midfield and played a clever pass to Dean Moxey on the left, the full-back's first time pass was perfect, allowing Murray time and space to stroke home the equaliser.

From that moment there only looked one winner. Dobbie let fly from 25 yards, forcing Hamer into a brilliant save but Charlton's respite was short-lived. The Addicks cleared the resulting corner with ease but Richards' return ball fell to Murray in the box and as Hamer slipped the Palace forward made no mistake, passing into an empty net for the winner.

Holloway's substitutions had made the difference and Phillips nearly marked his Palace debut with a goal. Again though Hamer reacted well to tip his flicked header away but with Palace so comfortably on top the Selhurst faithful need not have worried as Murray's double sealed their first win in four league games. 


Palace: Speron, Richards, Ramage, Delaney, Moxey, Marrow, O'Keefe (Williams 67), Bolasie (Dobbie 67), Butterfield (Phillips 46), Zaha, Murray
Subs Not Used: Price, Blake, Wilbraham, Parr
Charlton: Hamer, Evina, Jackson Kermorgant (82), Morrison, Wagstaff (Wiggins 73), Pritchard, Fuller, Solly, Wilson (Haynes 81), Cort, Dervite
Subs Not Used: Button, Taylor, Stephens, BWP

Advertisement block