Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Hull City 0-1 Palace

23 November 2013

Keith Millen ended his reign as caretaker manager with a win as 10 man Palace left it late to beat Hull City 1-0 to pick up their first win in eight games in front of Tony Pulis.

The new manager watched from the stands as Barry Bannan's first goal for the club was enough to collect all three points as another highly encouraging performance from the visitors was finally rewarded with a positive result.

The opening half was a very slow affair and was punctuated with a number of stoppages, one of which saw Marouane Chamkah and Paul McShane need treatment after a thumping clash of heads. Blood was spilt and both players required bandaging up, but ultimately the Moroccan striker was taken off prematurely after the problem couldn't be solved.

Before coming off though he was involved in the Eagles best chances of the half. Some wonderful build-up play between Chamakh, Mile Jedinak and Dwight Gayle allowed Yannick Bolasie to turn and find space in the area but blasted wide with Kagisho Dikgacoi well-placed around the penalty spot.

Chances were few and far between during the first 45 minutes. Apart from Bolasie's effort the visitors' only other sniff of goal came when Gayle had a shot blocked by Curtis Davies, and the only time Julian Speroni was tested was when a George Boyd attempt deflected off Joel Ward but the Palace custodian was equal to the danger.

There was as much excitement in the opening seven minutes of the second half as there was in the whole of the first. Firstly Yannick Sagbo managed to find himself one-on-one with Speroni but the Eagles glovesman stood firm and blocked his shot at close range, and seconds later Bolasie played a neat through-ball into Gayle's path but just as he was about to pull the trigger, Ahmed Elmohamady slid in to take the ball away.

Palace were looking the most likely to find the opening goal after the restart and Bolasie carved out another great chance for himself with a neat bit of skill that beat Liam Rosenior but screwed it wide of the near post before Cameron Jerome and Robert Koren miss the target from 25 yards.

But the Eagles' chances of winning the game looked to have evaporated when Bolasie was shown a straight red card on 78 minutes. During a promising attack the ball came to the winger on the edge of the area but he lost control of it, and in his desperation to get it back fouled Jake Livermore and was dismissed.

But three minutes later the 10 men took the lead. Gayle won the ball and gave it to Jerome who progressed into the box, beat a defender and cut the ball across the area for Barry Bannan to tuck home his first goal for the club.

Millen's men held firm for the final minutes but in injury time only some heroic defending save the victory. Dean Moxey scrambled a shot off the line after a goalmouth scramble before Rosenior's shot cannoned off the post, and the left back put his body on the line to block another attempt as the Eagles hung on to collect their first away win the Premier League in 19 attempts.

Hull City: McGregor, Figueroa, Davies, McShane (Rosenior 58), Elmohamady, Huddlestone, Livermore, Koren (Gedo 78), Boyd, Brady (Graham 46), Sagbo. Subs: Harper, Bruce, Faye, Meyler.

Palace: Speroni, Ward, Gabbidon, Delaney, Moxey, Dikgacoi (O'Keefe 75), Jedinak, Bannan, Bolasie, Gayle (Puncheon 86), Chamakh (Jerome 35). Subs: Alexander, Mariappa, Jonny Williams,

Advertisement block