Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Report: Huddersfield 2-0 Palace

11 December 2014

Palace's under-18 side exited the FA Youth Cup at the first hurdle after they were defeated by Huddersfield Town at the John Smiths Stadium.

It was always going to be a tough test for the Eagles against a side that won the academy title last year whilst also reaching the quarter-finals of the cup, but a team comprised of six first-year scholars more than held their own for the majority of the tie.

Despite the contest taking place in driving sleet and rain, Palace began brightly and after seven minutes Corie Andrews used his pace to break past the defence and get himself one-on-one with Terriers keeper Tadhg Ryan but saw the first shot of the game well saved.

The poor weather conditions in Yorkshire didn't help the flow of the game but when Town got their first sight of goal they took it on 24 minutes. Rekeil Pyke burst down the left and cut the ball back for the unmarked Jack Boyle who controlled his cross before firing past Oliver Pain and hand his side the lead against the run of play.

The Aussie goalkeeper did well to push away a fierce blast by Adam Porritt soon after, but Ken Gillard's side kept going and Mandela Egbo flashed a low ball across the face of goal that Michael Phillips couldn't quite steer home, and Andrews saw a good chance go begging when he switched the ball onto his favoured right foot but the hesitation allowed a defender to get back and make a tackle.

They continued to pile pressure on the hosts and nearly found themselves level 10 seconds after the restart when Jacob Berkley-Agyepong slipped in Andrews again who aimed for the near post but was thwarted by Ryan, but on the hour mark Huddersfield grabbed their second.

With Palace pushing bodies forward, gaps were appearing at the back and when Boyle found himself with the ball in the middle of the park he turned provider to play in Pyke who finished past Pain.

Regan Booty forced the visiting keeper into a good save from long range, which Palace had restricted their opponents to for the majority of the game, but the two goal deficit couldn't be overturned as the Eagles exited the competition at the third round stage.

Advertisement block