Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tottenham Hotspur 0-0 Palace

6 December 2014

Palace picked up their second away draw in a week as they secured a goalless draw against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane thanks to a great team effort.

The Eagles created far more opportunities than the hosts who were indebted to their goalkeeper Hugo Lloris who pulled off two fantastic saves either side of half-time to keep the scores level, and Jason Puncheon almost made amends for his penalty miss in the corresponding fixture last season but struck the crossbar late on.

However despite not quite clinching a victory, this was a morale boosting point for Neil Warnock’s men who rarely saw their goal threatened throughout the 90 minutes.

That wasn’t the case early on as after seven minutes a wonderful pass from Ryan Mason gave Christian Eriksen his first chance to gallop forward, and after getting to the byline the Dane attempted a shot from a tight angle which crashed into the side netting.

Three minutes later Palace’s first attempt fell to James McArthur who smashed the ball just over after a Yannick Bolasie corner was headed back out into his path, and then Mile Jedinak saw a grasscutter force Lloris into a routine save after his initial free-kick had been blocked by the Spurs wall.

Palace began bossing the game and should have been ahead when a delicious piece of skill by Bolasie saw him beat Eriksen and Roberto Soldado by spinning whilst flicking the ball past them in the corner, and his cutback to Joe Ledley was spot on but the midfielder saw his effort fly inches over the bar.

It was the same story at the other when Ben Davies centred for Soldado who missed by a similar margin, but Lloris was forced to pull a save out of the top drawer when Scott Dann got his head onto one of a number of early Eagles corners and just as it looked as though the ball was about to nestle in the bottom corner the diving French stopper pushed the ball to safety.

After Speroni palmed away an Eriksen free-kick and easily stopped a scuffed Soldado effort, it was Wilfried Zaha’s turn to pull something audacious out of his box of tricks and some quick feet beat both Eric Dier and Mason but his curled shot flashed wide of the far upright.

The second half started at a frantic pace as both sides pressed hard to find the opening goal and Soldado shanked the ball wide of the mark after being found in behind the Eagles defence but an offside flag spared his blushes, and Harry Kane attempted to find the top corner however his bending shot looped over.

Bolasie was looking sharp and he blasted goalwards after cutting inside from the left but the ball skimmed across the face of goal, but Palace nearly broke the deadlock when Marouane Chamakh held the ball up for Puncheon who cracked the crossbar with an attempt from inside the area.

A minute later the winger stroked the ball past Lloris but he was correctly adjudged to be offside by the assistant referee, but the Eagles were back in control of the game and Bolasie forced Lloris into another fine save before Ledley clipped the ball over the keeper after being found by Puncheon.

The winger had the final attempt but his low attempt through a defender’s legs was saved by Lloris as the Eagles crossed back over the Thames with a well-deserved point.

Tottenham: Lloris, Dier, Vertonghen, Fazio, Davies, Bentelab, Mason (Paulinho 65), Eriksen, Lamela (Chadli 46), Kane, Soldado (Lennon 82). Subs: Vorm, Rose, Kaboul, Stambouli.

Palace: Speroni, Kelly, Dann, Hangeland, Ward, Bolasie, Jedinak, Ledley, McArthur, Zaha (Puncheon 65), Chamakh. Subs: Hennessey, Delaney, Bannan, Thomas, Gayle, Campbell.

Advertisement block