Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21s Report: Ipswich 1-2 Palace

25 February 2014

Owen Garvan came back to haunt his former club by netting a free-kick which clinched the win for Palace's development side against Ipswich Town at Portman Road.

After three defeats in their last four outings, the Eagles got back on track with a fine comeback victory with Jonny Williams also getting on the scoresheet after Tractor Boys trialist Ambrose Gnahore had put the hosts in front during the first 45 minutes.

A strong Palace side began positively and went close in the opening stages when Alistair Gordon found Dwight Gayle inside the 18-yard-box, and the striker's vicious volley forced Scott Loach to push the ball away.

The Suffolk side had named Gnahore in their side who was on trial from Chelsea and he was looking lively, and almost set up ex-Eagle Alan Lee at the near post but the chance went begging, and a minute later Ted Bishop allowed Paul Taylor to shoot but the striker fired over.

An action-packed opening 20 minutes then saw a chance fall to Jonny Williams when Reise Allassani whipped in a cross from the right flank but the midfielder couldn't produce enough power on his effort to test Loach in the Ipswich goal.

Williams' international team-mate Wayne Hennessey was making his first appearance in a Palace shirt and made a good save from Taylor who let fly from the edge of the box, with the rebound narrowly avoiding the lurking Anthony Wordsworth.

However three minutes before the break Town snatched the lead when a dangerous cross from Byron Lawrence found Gnahore at the back-post and he converted from close range to give his side the half-time advantage.

Parity was restored on 57 minutes though when a poor clearance from Omar Sowumni fell right into the path of Jonny Williams and he found the net from just inside the box.

And after Lawrence somehow fired over the bar from inside the box Palace turned the game around midway through the half when Garvan stepped up to fire a  free-kick past Loach to put Gary Issott's side 2-1 ahead.

The visitors came agonisingly close to adding a third during the final 20 minutes when Jerome Williams was played through on goal by Gayle, and the rampaging left-back was unfortunate to see his shot beat Loach but strike the underside of the bar before bouncing clear, but the final stages saw Palace comfortably hold on to ensure all three points returned with them to south London.

Ipswich Town: Loach, Hammond, Mings, Bishop, Sowumni, Clarke, Gnahore (Michael-Percil 61), Wordsworth, Lee (McQueen 26), Taylor, Lawrence.

Palace: Hennessey, Gordon, Jerome Williams, Dymond, McCarthy, Chambers, Allassani, Garvan, Gayle, Gray (Ferrier 82), Jonny Williams (G. Sow 84). Subs not used: Gregory, Croll, Tieku.

Advertisement block