Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/11/2014

29 November 2014

Mile Jedinak’s fifth goal in his last eight games earned Palace a point at the Liberty Stadium as once again they came from behind to get something from the game.

It looked like it could be a difficult afternoon for Neil Warnock’s side when Wilfried Bony gave a rampant Swansea side an early lead, but the Eagles settled down and after Marouane Chamakh won a penalty the skipper converted it nine minutes after falling behind to level things up, and that’s how things would remain as a good point was claimed in south Wales.

A pulsating first-half started with Swansea in complete control. Firstly Gylfi Sigurdsson bent a free-kick onto the roof of the net before Jefferson Montero sped down the left and cut the ball back to Bony but the Ivorian striker fired a snapshot over the top.

And after dominating the opening stages the impressive Swans grabbed a deserved lead after a quarter of an hour. Neil Taylor found Sigurdsson who fed the ball into the feet of Bony and the powerhouse held off Brede Hangeland, swivelled and struck the ball out of Julian Speroni’s reach to find the net for the sixth time in seven league games.

Things were looking bleak for the Eagles early on and they were dealt another blow when Dwight Gayle was forced off through injury with James McArthur taking his place, but once again the resiliency from the Liverpool game last week came to the fore and on 24 minutes Palace were back on level terms.

A Joel Ward corner was poorly cleared McArthur prodded the ball back into the danger zone, and Jonjo Shelvey rashly tackled Chamakh from behind and conceded a penalty. Once again Jedinak stepped up to send Lukasz Fabianski the wrong way from 12 yards to restore parity.

With their tails up, Warnock’s men then had two great chances in quick succession to nudge ahead. A low centre from Martin Kelly was fluffed by Ashley Williams and his scuffed clearance fell to Chamakh who forced Fabianski into a superb point-blank save.

The Pole was helpless two minutes later when Yannick Bolasie attempted to curl the ball into the top corner from 25 yards but a slight deflection off Angel Rangel diverted the shot onto the top of the crossbar.

Having been under the cosh for the previous 10 minutes the Swans showed their attacking threat when Sigurdsson, Bony and Wayne Routledge combined but the former Palace academy star hit a shot straight at Speroni and Shelvey wasted a golden opportunity on the stroke of half-time when he was picked out unmarked at the back post but fluffed his attempt well wide.

He did better with the first real chance of the second half when he controlled a cross from the right with his chest and struck a volley at goal but once again it was comfortable for Speroni, but the Palace custodian did well to get in the way of a volley from Sigurdsson after a Jedinak clearance fell to the attacking midfielder.

The Eagles were containing the Swans during the second half but creating little, however Sigurdsson continued to be at the heart of all his side’s good work and was fractions away from putting the Swans ahead again when he received the ball from Rangel and aimed for the bottom corner but saw his effort flash past the base of the far post.

Pressing for a late winner on the counter, Martin Kelly forced Fabianski to save his strike from the edge of the box after he cut inside from the left flank, and seconds before the final whistle Bolasie blazed a shot over but Palace would have been happy to travel back across the border with another Premier League point.

Swansea City: Fabianski, Rangel, Bartley, Williams, Taylor, Ki, Shelvey, Sigurdsson, Routledge (Barrow 64), Montero, Bony (Gomis 74). Subs not used: Tremmel, Amat, Richards, Britton, Carroll.

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Hangeland, Dann, Kelly, Jedinak, Ledley, Puncheon (Zaha 81), Bolasie, Chamakh (Campbell 66), Gayle (McArthur 21). Subs not used: Hennessey, Fryers, Bannan, Thomas.

Advertisement block