Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18s Report: Crystal Palace 7-0 Barnsley

13 October 2014

Palace's academy side found themselves in seventh heaven last weekend as they thrashed Barnsley in their latest under-18s Professional Development League outing to get back to winning ways.

Having not won in their previous three games, the Eagles took out their frustrations against the Tykes at Beckenham with Michael Phillips, who'd finally got a chance to play in his usual central midfield position having filled in at centre-back so far this campaign, netting a hat-trick.

The rout began on 15 minutes when Corie Andrews latched onto a poor backpass on the halfway line to speed through on goal and coolly tuck the ball between the Barnsley goalkeeper's legs to score his fifth goal of the season, and the lead was doubled after a 20-plus passing move resulted in full-back Mandela Egbo scoring from the edge of the area.

The captain for the day then doubled his tally from the penalty spot after the returning Matthew George was brought down in the area after a fine run and Egbo finished from 12 yards.

Then Phillips began to turn on the style as he netted his first and Palace's fourth after just 33 minutes. Jacob Berkley-Agyepong picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch and played an exquisite through-ball with the outside of his foot into Phillips who superbly lobbed the keeper from 20 yards.

Four minutes later and Berkley-Agyepong was next to find the net when he linked up with Elliott List on the right flank to give himself a sight of goal which he finished well to put his side 5-0 up at half-time.

There was no let-up following the interval as Palace continued to carve their way through the visitors' defence with ease, and Phillips notched his second when he headed in a fine cross by Egbo before completing his treble when Andrews had a shot cleared off the line, and ball was played back out to the midfielder who was waiting just outside the area to drive it home and seal his hat-trick.

Unsurprisingly Ken Gillard's boys took their foot off the pedal a little towards the end of the game, and Barnsley saw a free-kick strike the post with eight minutes remaining, but apart from that under-18s debutant Oliver Pain was a spectator in the Eagles goal as the attackers enjoyed a field day.

Advertisement block