Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21 Report: Crystal Palace 5-2 Charlton Athletic

24 April 2015

An explosive first 45 minutes from table toppers Palace saw them beat Charlton thanks to a brace from Keshi Anderson and strikes from Kyle de Silva, Owen Garvan and Aaron Bissaka.

That gave the Eagles, who have already ensured top spot in the Professional Development League 2 table this season and a play-off berth, a four goal advantage after the break, but the Addicks did make the scoreline more respectable in the second period by pulling back a couple of goals.

The two sides played out a 2-2 draw earlier in the week but this game would be a much less close affair with Palace grabbing the lead just six minute in. Garvan got the ball on the edge of the area and gave it to de Silva, and the striker made a yard of space to squeeze a shot away and saw it clip the inside of the post before beating Jordan Beeney to continue score his 11th of the season.

Another man who has found a rich goalscoring vein is Garvan, and on 12 minutes he doubled the lead with his third in successive games. Palace won a free-kick in a central position 25 yards from goal and the Irishman stepped up to curl it over the wall, leaving Beeney helpless.

And the superb start for Palace continued as they added a third four minutes later when a poor backpass from Josh Staunton was too short for Beeney to reach, and Anderson sped in to round the keeper and score from a tight angle.

It should have been four on 25 minutes when the shaky Beeney fluffed a clearance straight to de Silva but with an open goal at his mercy he somehow managed to put the ball well over the bar, and soon after Jake Gray dragged an effort wide when Anderson won the ball off powerhouse Andre Bikey.

But with four minutes to go in the half, the fourth did arrive. Anderson weaved his way around the edge of the area but with space at a premium he laid the ball off to Gus Sow who hit a piledriver at Beeney, and he could only parry the ball out to the on-rushing Anderson who easily tucked in his second.

Left-back Jason Akiotu near got in on the act when in the first minute of the second half he cut inside from the flank and attempted a curler from range which whistled past the far post, but on 51 minutes Charlton pulled a goal back when former USA international Oguchi Onyewu headed powerfully in from a Rhys Browne corner.

The visitors thought they’d made it 4-2 in spectacular style when Kieran Monlouis found the top corner with a vicious strike from 25 yards but it was ruled out for offside from a previous phase of play, but they did get one that counted in equally fine fashion when a cross from Staunton was dummied firstly by Mikhail Kennedy and then Tobi Sho-Silva for Jack Munns to fire past Chris Kettings.

But with time running a clearance by Charlton bounced into the path of Bissaka who bounded forward one-on-one with Beeney and casually tucked the ball past him to score his first goal at under-21 level and put the gloss on another fine result for Gary Issott’s side.

Palace: Kettings, Collins, Magri, Dymond, Akiotu (Phillips 79), Gray, Garvan, Sow, Allassani (Bissaka 84), Anderson, De Silva (Flanagan 90). Subs not used: Pain, Coke.

Charlton: Beeney, Pyke, Onyewu, Bikey, Staunton, Cumberbatch (Munns 46), Thomas, Monlouis, Kennedy, Amearne-Grant, Browne (Sho-Silva 71). Subs not used: Phillips, Leon.

Advertisement block