Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21s Report: Queens Park Rangers 0-3 Crystal Palace

14 April 2015

Crystal Palace's under-21 side took another step towards securing a play off place come the end of the season away to Queens Park Rangers this afternoon.

The Eagles pulled clear of the west Londoners and cemented themselves in second place for the time being after a comprehensive victory over the third-placed Rangers.

It was an afternoon in which both sides were desperate not to lose and surrender ground to the other, as the season draws to a close, which resulted in few chances for either team in the opening exchanges.

QPR had two chances in the opening 25 minutes, with one falling to first-team squad member Junior Hoilett after just two minutes, but his effort was saved by Palace's Chris Kettings. 

The home side then went close through Ryan Manning, who curled an effort over from 25 yards, as the two London clubs searched for an opening on a hot afternoon at Harlington.

It was Palace who eventually broke the deadlock, with Morgan Ferrier latching on to Kyle De Silva's through ball, before shrugging off Cole Kpekawa's challenge and finishing beyond the goalkeeper on 35 minutes.

Four minutes later, it was the creator De Silva who had turned goalscorer, firing low beyond QPR goalkeeper Alex McCarthy from 20 yards, ensuring the Eagles took a 2-0 advantage into the break.

The second period began with the home side looking to fire their way back into the game and they went close through Manning early in the second half. He attempted to prod the ball beyond Kettings, but his effort went wide.

Soon after, QPR again went close, this time through Reece Grego-Cox, who dragged his effort wide on 51 minutes.

Hiram Boateng nearly extended the margin in Palace's favour at the other end, but his volley was deflected over, with Palace having to absorb pressure from the home side, before making their own chances.

The Eagles then took the lead, having defended resolutely, when Boateng and De Silva combined to find Reise Allassani, who tapped home from close range to make the score 3-0 to the visitors.

QPR needed a goal to get back in the game and continued to press the Eagles into making mistakes, but their chances were limited. 

Palace went close to adding a fourth twice, with De Silva hitting the post from close range on 66 minutes and Keshi Anderson being denied by Kpekawa's challenge, as the Palace striker looked to bear down on goal with just five minutes to go.

At full time, the Eagles were 3-0 winners, having ground out another vital result, which puts them in good stead for the run-in to the end of the season.

QPR: McCarthy, Furlong, Kakay, Comley, Haran (Hamalainen 65), Kpekawa, Manning (Mulraney 70), Mitchell, Grego-Cox, Taarabt (Faurlin 46), Hoilett. Subs not used: Lennox, Pattie. 

Palace: Kettings, Collins, Magri, Boateng, Scales, Gray (Adarabioyo 85), Black, Garvan, Allassani, de Silva (Sow 75), Ferrier (Anderson 75). Sub not used: Akiotu

Advertisement block