Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Report: Coventry 1-0 Palace

17 August 2015

Having won their first game of the season at Bolton the week before, Palace’s academy side were brought back down to earth by Coventry City.

The Eagles played well enough to win the game and created a bucket-full of chances throughout the contest but a combination of wasteful finishing and selfishness in front of goal saw the Eagles defeated after they were caught with a sucker punch midway through the second half.

Ken Gillard’s boys started sharply and created a couple of good chances when Kian Flanagan twice played in Victor Fundi and Levi Lumeka but nothing came of those opportunities, but the latter was unfortunate not to open the scoring on the half hour mark.

Some good work down the right flank between Ben Wynter and Andre Coker allowed the winger to pull the ball back to the penalty spot for Lumeka who hit the target, but saw his attempt blocked on the line by a Coventry defender.

Five minutes later another fine through-ball by Flanagan found Coker one-on-one with the goalkeeper but his shot was straight at the shot-stopper.

Corie Andrews was introduced at the break to inject some pace into the game, and created a good chance for himself on 65 minutes when he latched onto a good pass by Coker but screwed the ball wide of the mark.

Another substitution nearly changed the game when Nathan Linton entered the fray and almost scored instantly, playing a one-two with Andrews before forcing the Sky Blues goalkeeper to make a good stop with his feet.

However some slack play by the Eagles saw them fall behind on 68 minutes. A sloppy pass across the defensive line put Palace under pressure and Ronee Hendricks collected the ball and hit it across XXXX and into the net to hand the hosts the advantage against the run of play.

Linton and Coker saw efforts come and go before Palace’s bad day came to a climax when Michael Phillips was shown a red card with 10 minutes to go when he retaliated to some provocation from a Coventry player, and with 10 men Gillard’s side ultimately fell to defeat.

Advertisement block