Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Report: Crystal Palace 6-2 QPR

12 January 2015

Palace's academy side swept aside Queens Park Rangers in their first academy league game of 2015 by notching six times against the Hoops.

Despite not having a competitive game for four weeks, Palace showed no sign of rustiness and a brace from Hussein Mohammed as well as efforts from Michael Phillips, Ryan King-Elliott, Jason Akiotu and Elliott List handed Ken Gillard's side a healthy victory.

The game was played in horrendous weather conditions that sawvall four seasons during the 90 minutes, but that couldn't stop the home side and they went 1-0 up on the half-hour mark. A fine move from the back saw the ball end up at the feet of Mohammed and he showed some great skill to give himself a shooting opportunity which he took from 20 yards - the goalkeeper only seeing the ball once it had nestled inside his net.

Rangers fought back though and drew level just five minutes later when they capitalised on some slack defending from the hosts, but after the interval the Eagles got themselves back in front when Jacob Berkley-Agyepong stole the ball from a defender and slotted the ball into top-scorer Phillips' path who converted the chance with a composed finish.

After the introduction of Spencer Forte on the hour mark, who made his first league appearance for 18 months after a difficult run of injuries, came a crazy period where Palace scored four goals in a five minute spell to stun their opponents. 

On 65 minutes Berkley-Agyepong sprayed the ball out to List who beat his man and fired in from a tight angle, and two minutes later an end-to-end move saw right-back King-Elliott link up with Berkley-Agyepong to race down the field, turn a defender and find the top corner.

Straight from the restart fellow full-back Akiotu then got on the scoresheet when he took on a defender and found the bottom corner, before Mohammed added his second on 69 minutes after Aaron Bissaka saw a shot saved but the striker was on hand to gobble up the rebound and make it 6-1.

There was a late consolation for the Hoops when with five minutes to go they reduced the deficit by scrambling the ball in from close range, but it couldn't spoil a wonderful performance from Gillard's boys.

Advertisement block