Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Report: Palace 3-2 Bristol City

23 March 2015

Palace’s under-18 side recorded their first win in six games at the expense of Bristol City, showing plenty of determination to twice come from behind to clinch the three points.

The game began slowly with little quality as the visitors were content to sit back and spoil any Eagles attacks, and perhaps due to their poor form of late the home side were a little lethargic early doors, and it came back to bite them on the half hour mark as the Robins took the lead.

Palace tried to over-play things at the back and after Oliver Pain scuffed a clearance into Will Hoare’s path, the midfielder mis-controlled the ball and allowed a City attacker to go one-on-one with Pain who made no mistake.

The Eagles nearly gave away a second soon after in similar circumstances, but after some harsh words from Ken Gillard at the interval they came out fired up for the second 45 and three minutes before the hour mark found themselves level.

A corner was swung towards the back post which was headed back across the face of goal by Michael Phillips and Oliver O’Dwyer was on hand to tap in from three yards out to score in successive games.

However 10 minutes later and Gillard’s side were behind again when another defensive lapse allowed the Robins to win the ball in midfielder and one pass through the defence allowed another Bristol forward to find the bottom corner.

Palace were given a lifeline on 77 minutes when they were awarded a penalty when Ryan King-Elliott saw a cross handled in the box by a defender, and Phillips stepped up to score from 12 yards.

There was still time for a winner and it came from an unlikely source after a brilliant team goal. Jacob Berkley-Agyepong and Hoare combined to hand Corie Andrews a chance to get down the left flank, and after beating a defender he found left back Jason Akiotu in space who finished off a fine move and clinch a well-deserved victory. 

Advertisement block