Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Under-21 Report: Barnsley 0-2 Crystal Palace

24 March 2015

Gary Issott's development side chalked up a fourth straight victory against Barnsley to move to the top of the U21 Professional Development League 2.

Goals from Kyle de Silva and Sam Magri secured another three points and the result in Yorkshire saw the Eagles leapfrog Swansea City into first place on goal difference, although they have games in hand on their rivals for a play-off place.

The game saw Palace come up against a familiar face in Peter Ramage, who played against his parent club as he continues to recover from a thigh injury to help the Tykes' League One promotion push.

However he was unable to prevent Issott's side from getting in front after just four minutes. Hiram Boateng gave the ball to Rodrigue N'diane and the full-back overlapped to pull the ball back into the box, and the Barnsley defence could only clear it straight to de Silva who rifled his ninth goal of the campaign into the top corner.

Five minutes later Barnsley keeper Christian Dibble got down well to prevent Jake Gray from doubling the advantage after Keshi Anderson squared for him, but the Tykes went straight down the end and their right winger flashed a shot just wide of the far post.

Only a saving tackle from Connor Dymond prevented the same player from getting on the scoresheet on 38 minutes when Matthew Templeton's cross found the well-placed winger to fire home, but after Ramage was withdrawn at the break after a scrappy opening 45 from both sides, Reise Allassani saw an early attempt after the restart trickle to Dibble.

The wide man turned provider when his corner kick was headed narrowly over the top by Dymond after taking a deflection, and Barnsley's striker blazed over a free-kick from a good position after Boateng was harshly penalised for a tackle from behind.

The Eagles had a brilliant chance to extend their advantage when Morgan Ferrier broke into the area and saw his shot diverted into the path of de Silva, but the striker took too long with the opportunity and his effort was eventually blocked by Dibble.

Barnsley should have drawn level with 25 minutes remaining when their right winger was picked out at the back post, but with just Gregory to beat he fired over the bar from six yards out after doing superbly to pluck the ball out of the air.

And that came back to bite the hosts as on 76 minutes Issott's side grabbed the all-important second goal, with their set-piece routines coming to the fore once again. Boateng floated a corner into the area and Magri headed the ball home from six yards out to score his first of the season.

There were late chances for Palace to add a third when Fisayo Adarabioyo saw a shot bobble just wide before Boateng nearly scored another brilliant solo goal when he beat four players inside the box but hit straight at Dibble, however enough had been done to move into top spot.

Palace: Gregory, Ndiane (Ferrier 46), Magri, Croll, Dymond, Gray, Boateng, Black (Sow 65), Allassani, Anderson (Adarabioyo 68), de Silva. Subs not used: Pain, Hoare.

Advertisement block