Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Report: Crewe 2-2 Crystal Palace

21 September 2015

Palace's under-18 side continued their good start to the season by drawing 2-2 at Crewe Alexandra to leave them second in the U18 Professional Development League 2 table.

A rip-roaring start saw three goals in the opening 10 minutes, with the hosts opening the scoring on three minutes when a mistake in the Eagles defence allowed the Railwaymen to send in a low cross that was dispatched past Oliver Pain from close range.

But Ken Gillard's side fought back and on six minutes they were level again when a well-worked corner saw Sam Woods head the ball back across goal for Levi Lumeka to tap home.

But having quickly restored parity, Palace were trailing again four minutes later when a deep cross from the left wasn't cleared by the Eagles defence and Crewe easily knocked in their second.

After suffering another setback when Luke Dreher was forced off on 16 minutes, things didn't look to be going the visitors' way as Lumeka saw a goal controversially ruled out for offside before being brought down in the box but the penalty appeals were waved away.

But after regrouping at half-time, Palace continued to look the more threatening after the interval and the dangerous Lumeka and Woods both saw attempts cleared off the goalline before they finally made it 2-2 on 64 minutes.

A fine one-touch passing move involving Dan Hogan, Oliver Bennett and Corie Andrews gave Victor Fundi a sight of goal and he beat two players before drilling the ball past the Crewe goalkeeper from the edge of the area.

Palace had a glorious chance to go ahead 10 minutes from time when they counter-attacked a corner, leading to a three against one situation but Lumeka spurned the opportunity as he shot off target.

However they would have been happy with a point after surviving a late scare that saw Woods forced to clear off his own line on 88 minutes after a goalmouth scramble.

Advertisement block