Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23 Report: Crystal Palace 2-2 Barnsley

22 August 2016

A last minute equaliser from Corie Andrews saw Palace overturn a two-goal deficit to snatch a draw against Barnsley.

In their first league game at Dulwich Hamlet’s Champion Hill home, a late flurry of goals saw the visitors score twice in two minutes to take a commanding lead, but strikes from Levi Lumeka and Andrews grabbed a late point.

The first opportunity came six minutes in when George Moncur headed over a James Carvell cross, before the Tykes had the ball in the net in fortuitous circumstances when a clearance hit Shaun Tuton in the face but the striker had already been deemed offside.

Palace’s best chance of the half came when Ryan Inniss rose highest to meet a Noor Husin corner and saw his effort scrambled off the line, but only into the path of Randell Williams whose rebound deflected onto the post and wide.

Perntreou was the busiest of the goalkeepers throughout the game and he would deny Elliot Lee, Matthew Templeton and Moncur again either side of the break, but suddenly the game burst into life on 73 minutes when three goals were netted in quick succession. 

Firstly a counter-attack was started and finished by Moncur who netted after taking up a good position in the area to complete a swift move, and a minute later a fantastic 40-yard run from Fergus McDonald from the centre of defence allowed him to tee up Moncur, who unselfishly squared for Brown to add a second.

It looked as though Palace were dead and buried but just two minutes after successive setbacks they managed to pull one back. Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong burst down the left and got to the byline to cut back for Lumeka to dispatch past Nick Townsend.

Andre Coker then looked destined to pull the scores level again with three minutes to play but Townsend pulled off a superb reaction save to claw it away from the bottom corner, however in the final minute the comeback was completed in route-one fashion. 

Perntreou hammered the ball downfield and it was controlled brilliantly by Andrews, who then threaded the ball past the keeper and into the net to clinch a dramatic point.

Palace: Perntreou, Wynter, Phillips, Inniss (Woods 45), Akiotu, Wan-Bissaka (Andrews 63), Husin, Berkeley-Agyepong, Coker, Lumeka, Williams (Flanagan 68). Subs: McAdden, McGregor.

Barnsley: Townsend, Evans (Bird 7), Macdonald, Cowgill (Smith 62), Templeton, Carvell (Henry 70), Dalmedia, Moncur, Lee, Brown, Tuton. Subs: Murphy, Ash.

Advertisement block