Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21 Report: Crystal Palace 1-2 Charlton Athletic

1 February 2016

Two late goals from league leaders Charlton Athletic saw them pip Palace to the points as the Eagles came so close to ending the Addicks’ unbeaten run of 17 games.

Luke Dreher had given Palace the lead with a good header from a corner in the second half, but on 83 minutes Joe Aribo equalised before Josh Umerah scored a penalty two minutes later to snatch victory for the visitors.

The first half was a very quiet affair with both sides creating little of note. The Eagles saw an early opportunity from Zeki Fryers’ corner headed wide by Oliver O’Dwyer before Brandon Hanlan had two attempts also miss the target in reply.

Goalkeepers Chris Kettings and Dimitar Mitov were relative bystanders for the opening half an hour, but the Palace custodian was called into action when Montell Moore whipped a free-kick towards the back post which fell perfectly for Ayo Obileye to head goalwards but Kettings showed good reactions to tip it over.

It took Palace 38 minutes to carve out their first real opportunity when Jerome Binnom-Williams showed great skill on the byline as he produced an array of stepovers to beat Aaron Barnes and cut the ball back to an unmarked Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong, but his weak side-footer was easy for Mitov.

That was as good as things got during the opening 45 minutes, but once play resumed Palace looked a little more dangerous and Berkeley-Agyepong nearly found the top corner from the edge of the area before more good work by Binnom-Williams down the left gave Corie Andrews a sight of goal but he scuffed the ball off target.

Berkeley-Agyepong then burst into the box and forced Mitov to block the ball with his chest, and on the hour mark their positivity paid off when Dreher powerfully headed a Fryers corner high into the Addicks’ net.

Not willing to give up their unbeaten run without a fight, Charlton nearly equalised when Hanlan had a shot on the turn that flashed over Kettings’ bar, and that was the same fate that Anfernee Dijksteel endured when his clever spin gave him the room he required to take aim.

But seven minutes from time the visitors drew level when Regan Charles-Cook barged his way down the left flank, got to the touchline and pulled the ball across the box for Aribo who had time to take a touch before picking out the bottom corer.

And two minutes later Charlton completed the comeback when O’Dwyer brought down Umerah inside the box, and the striker stepped up to send Kettings the wrong way from 12 yards and stretch Palace’s search for a win to eight games.

Palace: Kettings, Wynter, O'Dwyer, Croll, Scales, Bissaka, Fryers, Dreher, Binnom-Williams, Andrews (Phillips 80), Berkeley-Agyepong. Subs not used: Perntreou, George, Allassani, Mars.

Charlton: Mitov, Barnes (Konsa 64), Obileye, Thomas, Edwards, Hanlan, Dijksteel, Charles-Cook, Moore (Lapslie 80), Umerah (Staunton 89), Aribo. Subs not used: Beeney, Kelly.

Advertisement block