Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loan Round-Up: Five Eagles In Action

21 November 2016

Sullay Kaikai started his first game for a month and played the full 90 minutes but couldn’t prevent Brentford falling to a 3-2 defeat at Blackburn Rovers on Saturday. All the goals were scored in an action-packed first 38 minutes, but the Bees fell to 14th in the Championship after a fourth defeat from their last six games.

Last week, the Palace winger was quoted as saying: “The loan is going alright. It’s been a bit stop-start but it is a different level. I’ve got to adjust to the demands of that and I’m learning. I feel like I’m progressing. I’m feeling in good shape.

“The manager here knows it is going to take time for any player to adjust to the demands of the Championship. He’s been very good with me. He’s a lively character around the ground. Everyone gets along with him. He’s got the same ambitions as the players.”

Five of the seven Palace loanees saw some action on the weekend, with Jonny Williams coming off the bench for the fifth time so far in his latest stint at Ipswich Town, but despite being introduced at half-time against former club Nottingham Forest, Mick McCarthy’s side were beaten 2-0 thanks to a Britt Assombalonga brace.

In League One, Hiram Boateng played the first 55 minutes of Bristol Rovers’ goalless draw at home to MK Dons, with the point leaving them level on 27 points with sixth-placed AFC Wimbledon. Also pushing for promotion are Keshi Anderson’s Bolton Wanderers who saw off Millwall by a 2-0 scoreline, although the Eagles striker remained on the bench.

It’s very different though at Oldham Athletic, who are now three points from safety after a 1-0 defeat at Scunthorpe United, with Freddie Ladapo playing the entirety of the contest. Meanwhile, Ryan Inniss is currently out of action for Southend United for possibly the next three months after requiring shoulder surgery.

However Luke Croll returned from injury last weekend, but couldn’t help Exeter City claim a vital win as they were beaten 3-2 after a long journey to Carlisle United. The defender had missed the Grecians’ last few games after a concussion but returned on Saturday, and looked to have helped his side off the foot of the League Two table as they led 2-1 with a minute remaining before the Cumbrian outfit recovered to seize all the points.

Advertisement block