Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18s Report: Crystal Palace 2-1 Watford

27 November 2016

The Eagles put their five game winless run to the sword last Saturday as goals from Aramide Oteh and Bryce Hosannah were just enough to beat Watford in Beckenham.

The trialist striker put Palace ahead around the hour mark before Hosannah wrapped things up late on with a fine goal, however there was a tense final few moments as Watford pulled one back in stoppage-time but Palace held their nerve to end their poor run.

After enjoying a fine start to proceedings, things were made tougher for the hosts when recently capped Republic of Ireland under-18 international Kian Flanagan picked up an ankle injury and had to be replaced by Malachi Peynardo-Peart early in the proceedings, who would go on to impress in just his second under-18 outing.

In a tight half with few chances Palace had the better of them, with Tyrick Mitchell and Tariq Ossai going close following corners, and after some good defending denied Oteh, Jason Lokilo saw a shot blocked after delaying pulling the trigger and thus the opening 45 ended goalless.

Upon the encounter’s resumption, the Belgian winger and Hosannah would also spurn opportunities to take the lead in the second half before on 58 minutes the latter won his team a spot-kick, which Oteh stylishly fired into the top corner to put Palace in front.

As the game ticked on, the Eagles got nervier as they got closer to claiming a long overdue three points, but rather than panic they continued to routinely absorb all the pressure thrown at them by Watford, and with a minute remaining a swift counter-attack allowed Francis Jno Baptiste to slide in Hosannah who produced a quality finish by clipping the ball over the Hornets goalkeeper to score his second of the season and virtually seal the victory.

Having registered a goal and an assist, Hosannah was then involved in the game’s third goal too when moments later he conceded a penalty which Watford netted, spoiling Oliver Webber clean sheet on his debut, but there was no time remaining for any further action and Palace were left celebrating at the end as they claimed their first win since September.

Advertisement block