Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23s Report: Crystal Palace 3-1 Hull City

19 September 2016

Palace’s development side chalked up a comfortable win against Hull City, with Jonathan Benteke getting on the scoresheet for the first time as an Eagle.

Goals from Randell Williams and Aaron Wan-Bissaka had put the hosts firmly in control jut after half-time before the Belgian striker netted his side’s third as the Eagles claimed their third win in their six league matches to date.

The first half was an extremely quiet affair and indeed it took 20 minutes for the first attempt at goal but Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong’s grasscutter bobbled comfortably to Hull keeper Will Mannion, and five minutes later Johan Ter-Horst had an identical chance when he failed to trouble Kleton Perntreou.

But eventually a moment of quality arrived and it put Palace in front. Nya Kirby fed the ball into the final third to Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong who flicked it into Williams’ path, and the winger whipped the ball first-time into the top corner to claim the lead in style.

That was as good as the opening half got with neither goalkeeper’s net threatened, but it took just two minutes after the interval for the Eagles to virtually secure the points, with nearly half of the game to go, as they raced into a 3-0 lead.

Just 45 seconds after play resumed, a ball down the right flank was chased down by Wan-Bissaka who got it under control before firing low past Mannion, and then in the 48th minute Jason Akiotu was afforded time and space on the left side and with Palace attackers streaming into the box, he played a brilliant pass across the face of goal which gave Benteke the simplest of tasks to tuck home his first goal in red and blue, in front of his on-looking brother.

The opening five minutes of the second half surpassed the amount of quality shown in the whole of the first 45, and Perntreou was soon called into action to prevent Hull getting back into the game when he made a fine double save to deny Ter-Horst from close range, with some superb defending then seeing Jonathan Edwards’ attempt blocked away for a corner.

Palace continued to search for more goals and Wan-Bissaka and Kirby both forced Mannion into good stops, but at the other end a howler from Perntreou saw him shank a clearance straight to Ter-Horst and he had the easy task of controlling it with his chest and rolling the ball into the unguarded net with 15 minutes to go.

But the lead was never severely challenged and the best of the chances continued to fall to Palace, with Kirby nearly managing to restore the three-goal advantage but a fine diving stop by Mannion managed to divert it away from goal, and then he set up Williams who side-footed over the bar from close range.

Perntreou managed to redeem himself by pulling off a good save of his own soon after to prevent an attempt from range sailing into the top corner, and in the final embers Mannion made a double-stop of his own to prevent substitutes Andre Coker and Corie Andrews posting a more emphatic result.

Palace: Perntreou, King-Elliott, Wynter (Jones 45), Woods, Akiotu, Husin, Kirby, Wan-Bissaka, Berkeley-Agyepong (Coker 79), Williams, J. Benteke (Andrews 64). Subs: McAdden, Hosannah.

Hull: Mannion, Barkworth, Maslen-Jones, Rodgers, Fleming, Ter-Horst, Batty, McKenzie, Annan, Edwards (Hamilton 66), Lofts (Salam 66). Subs: Saltmer, Ritson, Kelledy.

Advertisement block