Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23s Report: Crystal Palace 0-3 Ipswich Town

20 February 2017

For the third game in succession, Palace’s development side were involved in a 3-0 scoreline, however they came unstuck against a strong Ipswich Town side at Dulwich Hamlet FC.

Two goals within the space of a couple of minutes in the first half gave the Eagles a mountain to climb, and they were restricted to few opportunities against a Town team boasting plenty of players with first-team experience who went on to seal the victory.

That showed during the first 45 minutes which was completely bossed by the visitors, however it would be the Eagles who would carve out the first opportunity of the game when Jason Lokilo tested Michael Crowe from range but drew a flying save from the goalkeeper.

But in the 22nd minute the Tractor Boys showed their ruthlessness by taking the lead with their first sniff of goal when a neat through-ball allowed Ben Morris to slip in behind the defence and he tucked the ball coolly past the stranded Kleton Perntreou, and things went from bad to worse for Richard Shaw’s side when two minutes later Danny Rowe whipped a corner into the box and Shane McLoughlin powered home a header from six yards out to double the advantage.

It should have been 3-0 after 32 minutes when the skipper McLoughlin headed over a loose ball after a dangerous cross into the box was parried by Perntreou, and the Greek shot-stopper made another good save when Luke Woolfrenden found space down the left and fired powerfully towards the target but saw it swatted away.

Soon after the second half got underway Ipswich were pushing for the killer goal and Teddy Bishop attempted to find the top corner with a curler from 25 yards that Perntreou managed to pluck away from danger, and on 57 minutes McLoughlin was again wasteful when he skied an effort over from eight yards out when he was found inside the box.

Palace rallied in the final third of the game and after Ben Wynter saw a shot deflected wide, substitute Nya Kirby was denied by the outstretched leg of Crowe after some good wing play by Levi Lumeka saw him find Andre Coker who teed up the England under-17 international.

That missed opportunity proved crucial though as on 73 minutes the Suffolk outfit wrapped up the win when a ball across the ball fell kindly for Danny Rowe who drilled it low into the net to seal the victory.

Palace: Perntreou, Wynter, Phillips, O’Dwyer (Tavares 85), Sturgess, Flanagan (Kirby 62), McGregor, Wan-Bissaka, Lumeka, Lokilo, Andrews (Coker 46). Subs not used: Stewart, King-Elliott.

Ipswich: Crowe, Fowler, Digby, T. Smith, Woolfenden, Hyam, Bishop (C. Smith 70), Rowe, Dozzell (Blanchfield 75), McLoughlin (McDonnell 75), Morris. Subs not used: Hayes, McKendry.

Advertisement block