Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Palace And Brighton Fans Share Honours In Charity Match

2 November 2017

The Palace and Brighton Sydney Supporters Clubs converged on the Kings School in Parramatta for the 5th Robert Eaton Memorial Fund Charity Match in Sydney.

The charity raises money in memory of Albion fan Robert Eaton, who died in the World Trade Centre terror attack in 2001.

A further charity, The John Moriarty Foundation, will also be a beneficiary from the game. This charity helps indigenous children play sport, buying equipment for the teams and providing support for the coaching staff.  

A late equaliser from Palace meant the two sides couldn’t be separated as the game finished 3-3 in searing temperatures of over 30c. 

Palace started the game on the front foot. With the front two of Sean Robb and Scott Englefield causing problems with their movement and pace. The Eagles were playing some great football, passing the ball around and doing as little running as possible which was important in the heat.

For all the possession though, The Eagles struggled to create many clear cut chances and were limited to long range efforts and snap shots as the Brighton keeper remained fairly untroubled.

This changed mid-way through the first half as Robb won a penalty after being brought down in the box. Englefield stepped up but was unable to give Palace the lead as his effort and was saved and collected by the keeper.

With the heat beginning to take it's toll, the game started to become stretched. This led to a good spell of pressure for the Seagulls and prompted several personnel changes for Palace. 

This led to a good spell of pressure for the Seagulls with five minutes to go in the first half, a misplaced pass found its way to former Brighton and Australian International Paul Reid who made no mistake, putting the ball past Jimmy Fletcher and giving Brighton a 1-0 lead at the break. 

After a much needed rest in the shade and some words from Managers Rob Seltzer and Dale Quartey, Palace once again came out strong in the second half and were rewarded early on as Robb beat the onrushing keeper to the ball to get a thoroughly deserved equaliser for the Eagles and with the scoreline level the Eagles had their tales up.

More good work between Englefield and Robb led to the former playing in the latter for his 2nd of the game. This led to pandemonium on the side-lines, with the substitutes not too tired to celebrate making no effort to hide their joy. 

The lead was short lived though as once again, Reid took it upon himself to haul Brighton back into the contest with a fine strike across Fletcher who stood no chance as the ball went in off the far post.

Brighton now had the wind in their sails as the Eagles made a few changes. Reid was pulling the strings and Brighton regained the lead with about 15 minutes to go with a smart finish.

Palace were undeterred though and pressed forward for the equaliser. A superb ball saw Dave Kendall through on goal and he kept his calm to finish superbly, restoring parity once again. It was Palace's game to win from here and Rob Seltzer went within inches after a superb cutback from Englefield.

Unfortunately it wasn’t to be and neither side could find the winner, a 3-3 draw was to be the final result. Both sets of players were delighted to head to the shade and enjoy some refreshments at the end of another day of tremendous fundraising by all for the charity. 

Advertisement block