Skip navigation

U23s Report & Gallery: Charlton Athletic 2-3 Crystal Palace


Connor Wickham made his first start in his comeback from injury as the under 23 side beat their south London rivals, Charlton Athletic.

The first chance of the game fell to the returning Palace forward who got on the end of a Sean Robertson cross but his effort just went wide 

Charlton then grew into the game and McGregor made a great sliding challenge in the box after an effort from Umerah. 

With Palace’s next chance they should have taken the lead. Lumeka broke into the Charlton box but decided to shoot rather than go across goal when Wickham was well placed.

The Eagles made the breakthrough in the 36th minute. Wickham got on the end of another Robertson cross, his first shot was blocked but he made no mistake with the rebound as he finished into the bottom left-hand corner.

Palace nearly doubled their lead shortly after. A deep cross towards the back post found Hungbo but his volleyed effort hit the side netting.

The home side nearly levelled just before half time as they broke from a Palace corner, George Lapslie shot from the edge of the area and Tupper saved well.

That was the last action of the first period.

It wasn’t the start the visitors had planned as in the 47th minute Josh Umerah was left unmarked to finish neatly at the back-post.

That goal gave the home side confidence and Ben Dempsey flashed a long distance effort wide. 

The away side responded well to the pressure. After some nice play involving Lokilo, Hungbo, and Lumeka, the ball was crossed into the box. Daly attacked the ball and his presence caused an error in the Charlton defence resulting in Taylor Maloney bundling the ball across his own line to put Palace ahead again in the 67th minute. 

The next clear cut chance came in the 68th minute. Lumeka again beat his man and squared a pass along the six-yard box to Lokilo whose shot flew over the crossbar. 

In the 75th minute the home side equalised again. Alfie Doughty was found in space in the box and drilled it in low into the bottom right hand corner from inside the penalty area. 

As the game opened up, Palace were awarded a penalty. James Daly beat the keeper to a high ball ad he was clattered into from behind. Lokilo made no mistake from the spot smashing into the bottom right hand corner.

Lumeka then had a chance to put the game to bed as a corner was flashed across the six yard box. He met the ball with a diving header but could only glance it over the bar. 

Charlton applied pressure looking for an equaliser but could not find a breakthrough. 

The win secured Richard Shaw’s side a place in the professional development league play-offs and kept them in pole position in the quest for the league title.

Charlton Athletic:

Maynard-Brewer (Beeney 85), Maloney, Yao, Morgan, Lennon, Dempsey, Lapslie (Doughty 72) , Hackett-Fairchild, Umerah, Yamfam, Zemura 

Subs: Blumberg, Carter, Trialist 

Crystal Palace: 

Tupper, Woods (Boateng 62), Trialist (Rae), Brown, McGregor, Bryon, Hungbo, Lokilo, Lumeka, Wickham (Daly 45), 

Subs: Webber, Trialist, Hanson. 

Watch interviews now with Connor Wickham & coach Dave Reddington plus see Connor's goal now or if viewing on the App go to Palace TV on the bottom menu. 

Highlights will be available to watch on Wednesday lunchtime.