Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Exeter City 1 Palace 2

14 August 2012


After coming from behind last year’s semi-finalists made it through to the second round with victory in this Capital One Cup tie against Exeter City.

A spot kick from Jermaine Easter and a close range header by Kagisho Dikgacoi proving the perfect reply to going behind in the opening minutes of the contest. 

Guillem Bauza got on the end of an early corner and his ball played towards goal was headed home past Lewis Price by John O'Flynn. This gave the 900 Palace fans in the ground the worst possible start but the visitors were soon back in the contest.

Wilfried Zaha had a cross cleared and then the striker and Stuart O'Keefe both saw shots blocked from inside the box.

After a couple of chances for Glenn Murray failed to register an equaliser Zaha made his way in towards goal from the right wing but his shot flashed just wide of the post. 

On 23 minutes Jermaine Easter went one better than those missed chances as he converted his spot kick. The decision to award a penalty by the referee came as a surprise to the players it seemed. A cross by Joel Ward was handled inside the box and Easter made no mistake smashing the ball straight down the middle of goal to bring the visitors back on level terms. 

Chances did come and go for both sides before Palace took the advantage and scored the deciding goal of the evening. Zaha didn't give up as he showed his pace to get to the ball and over in front of goal and it was met by Dikgacoi at the far post to head home into an empty net.

As the second half began Palace had a good chance to extend their advantage. Zaha found Easter in the middle but the striker was unable to convert and the one goal margin remained. 

The home team nearly made the Championship side pay for that miss but Lewis Price denied Flynn with an excellent save just before the hour mark of the game.

The game opened up and chances came at both ends with Zaha firing an effort over the bar and then at the other end Arron Davies saw his header saved by Price in the Palace goal. 

Before Palace threatened again from another corner, Aaron Martin seeing his header cleared off the line and then minutes later Dikgacoi was inches wide with another header.

As expected the home side kept pushing to take the game into extra time but they couldn't get through the Palace backline and the best chance saw Peter Ramage doing well to clear a threatening cross from the right.

Team: Price, Ward, Ramage, Martin, Moxey, Dikgacoi, O'Keefe (Wright 77), Garvan, Zaha, Easter (Appiah 87), Murray (Wilbraham 77).

Subs Not Used: Speroni, Dorman, De Silva, Parsons.

Advertisement block