Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Bromley 1-2 Crystal Palace

2 August 2016

A young Palace side made the short journey over to Bromley and a Sullay Kaikai double sealed the 2-1 victory at Hayes Lane. 

The visitors, captained by Martin Kelly, had two early chances after making a bright start to the game. On four minutes Kaikai put a ball across the face of goal but nobody was on hand to finish the opportunity. Jonny Williams then put a cross into the box as he attempted to find Chung yong-Lee but it fell too long and the ball ran out of play. 

On ten minutes the deadlock was broken as Lee clipped the ball through to Williams, he chested the ball into the path of Kaikai and the striker made no mistake to give Alan Pardew’s side the lead.  

Just a minute later the home team had the chance to get back on level terms as goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou failed to clear the ball and it fell to the feet of Blair Turgott, but he rushed his effort and he put the chance over the bar. 

Palace continued to dominate long periods of the game and Hiram Boateng made his way past three defenders, fed the ball through to Kaikai who picked out Luke Croll before the left-back's cross was blocked. 

Just before the half hour mark Bromley had some chances but were unable to convert the opportunities. 

A dangerous ball played into Adam Cunnington was headed behind for a Bromley corner by Michael Phillips, Toby Sho-Silver saw his overhead kick fly over Perntreou's crossbar and the goalkeeper did well to hold a well hit shot from the same player.

At the other end  Lee cut open the Bromley defence with a pass that found Kaikai and he tried to pick out Freddie Ladapo but the striker just failed to get on the end of the chance. 

Palace increased their lead after Williams had won a free kick, as Jack Holland conceded a foul,  and up stepped Kaikai to fire home an excellent set piece to double the Eagles advantage. Goalkeeper Alan Julian got a hand to the shot but couldn’t prevent the ball ending up in the net. 

A final chance of the half came when Lee found Kaikai on the break and he in turn put the ball through to Ladapo, but the striker's shot was blocked behind for a Palace corner.

The second half was one that had less chances for both sides but plenty of substitutes as both management teams made changes as the game went on. 

Keshi Anderson nearly had an immediate impact on the game after coming on but saw his shot go wide of the target with his first chance of the game. 

Ladapo had a chance to increase the lead but he sliced his opportunity wide of the post and then with twenty minutes of the game left got his head to the ball but put a difficult chance over the bar. 

With seven minutes remaining the home side pulled one back as Bromley youngster Dan Ajakaiye got on the end of George Porter’s cross and finished from close range. 

The home side pushed for an equaliser as the minutes ticked on but they couldn’t find a way through the Palace backline and as the final whistle was blown the two first half goals were enough to give The Eagles victory in front of the 3,646 crowd.  

Palace: Perntreou, Wynter, Kelly, Phillips (Woods 73), Croll, Boateng (Husin 46), Dreher, Lee (Berkeley-Agyepong 73), J.Williams (Anderson 46), Kaikai (R.Williams 67), Ladapo.

Subs: McAddam.

Advertisement block