Skip navigation
Crystal palace

      Report: Palace defeated late on at Tottenham

      Tottenham Hotspur
      Werner 77'
      Romero 80'
      Son Heung-Min 88'
      Crystal Palace
      Eze 59'

      Three late goals for Tottenham Hotspur saw Crystal Palace beaten 3-1 in north London, despite Ebere Eze’s stunning second-half free-kick.


      • One change from Palace as Eze returns for Edouard
      • Mateta’s half-volley blocked from close range
      • Johnstone clearance deflects off Son and goes wide
      • Palace goalkeeper then produces superb stop one-on-one versus Werner
      • Muñoz denied first Palace goal by sharp save from Vicario
      • Defences hold firm in entertaining first-half
      • HT: Tottenham 0-0 Palace
      • Tottenham start second-half the brighter, Werner going close
      • Mateta denied from close range after high pressing from Eze
      • Lerma block denies Son, who then hits the post seconds later
      • Eze hammers superb free-kick into the top corner
      • Johnstone denies Werner at the near post as Tottenham launch late siege
      • Son’s low strike whistles narrowly wide
      • Werner draws hosts level from close range
      • Romero heads in Tottenham’s second to complete late turnaround
      • Son adds a third in the closing stages
      • HT: Tottenham 3-1 Palace

      New Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner could scarcely have asked for a more difficult first away fixture in charge: the Eagles had not won away against Tottenham since November 1997, drawing just 2 of their 11 league fixtures in that time.

      But in a meeting of two aggressive, forward-thinking sides – Glasner had spoken ahead of the game of the need for intensity – an entertaining, and evenly-matched, first-half ensued.

      Palace were unchanged from the previous week’s 3-0 win over Burnley, other than the reintroduction of Ebere Eze – after a month’s absence through injury – for Odsonne Edouard, who moved to the bench.

      They enjoyed the first clear opportunity through Jean-Philippe Mateta after quarter-of-an-hour. The ever-energetic Daniel Muñoz won a free-kick which Jordan Ayew delivered low into the box. As it skipped up off the turf, Mateta caught a half-volley cleanly near the penalty spot – but Yves Bissouma, yards away from him, took the full force of the strike.

      At the other end, Tottenham’s threat was increasing, and a hopeful ball forwards for Heung-Min Son required Sam Johnstone to be quick off his line for Palace; his clearance cannoned off the Spurs captain, sailing well wide.

      Seconds later, Palace were indebted to their goalkeeper for producing a world-class stop one-on-one; with Timo Werner running clear for Spurs, the German was favourite to score but Johnstone somehow stood tall, forced him wide and then sprung to his left to keep his goal-bound effort out, before Tyrick Mitchell helped clean up the danger.

      It wasn’t all one-way traffic, however, and when Jefferson Lerma’s threaded through-ball took a deflection which threatened to give Muñoz a tap-in, only brave goalkeeping from Tottenham 'keeper Vicario – plunging at the Colombian’s feet – kept the scores level.

      The rest of the first-half adopted a similar pattern – Spurs threatening in possession, and Palace doing so on the break – without much by way of clear opportunity. The second, however, was in stark contrast, as clear chances arrived for both teams immediately after the restart.

      Werner was Tottenham’s chief threat going forwards and flashed another ball across the face of Palace’s goal which somehow avoided his fellow attackers.

      Moments later, high pressing from Eze on Romero saw the ball drop invitingly towards the feet of Mateta, but the forward – under pressure from two chasing defenders – was unable to get a shot away, despite initially bringing the ball down.

      Son would then twice go close in a frantic start to the half: the Tottenham captain was superbly denied from a corner by Lerma’s plunging block, before hitting the outside of the post with a first-time effort from Dejan Kulusevski’s low cross.

      Then, a moment of Eberechi Eze magic.

      After the England international had won himself a free-kick 25 yards from goal with a slaloming run on the counter – bodychecked by Rodrigo Bentancur – Eze picked himself up and hammered a dipping free-kick into the top corner, goalkeeper’s side.

      Eze and his Palace teammates celebrated wildly – but, sadly, those then gave way to a spell of Tottenham domination, roared on by the home crowd.

      After Johnstone had denied Werner’s rising drive at the near post, and Son’s low strike across goal had whistled narrowly wide, the home team eventually drew level on 77 minutes.

      Appearing to win the ball in a cul-de-sac, substitute Brennan Johnson beat two players and squared for Werner, who simply could not miss inside the six-yard box.

      Tottenham's turnaround was complete just three minutes later when a quickly-taken throw-in was prodded into the box by James Maddison, allowing Cristian Romero to flick home a header and put his team into the lead.

      And with two minutes left on the clock, a cruel break of the ball for Palace allowed Son to skip clean through on goal and send Johnstone the wrong way, finding the bottom corner to continue the Eagles’ difficult run of results on Tottenham territory.

      Tottenham: Vicario (GK), Emerson, van de Ven, Romero, Udogie, Bissouma (Lo Celso, 90), Bentancur (Johnson, 63), Maddison (Højbjerg, 82), Kulusevski, Werner (Sarr, 82), Son (Scarlett, 90).

      Subs: Austin (GK), Davies, Skipp, Dragusin.

      Palace: Johnstone (GK), Muñoz, Ward, Richards, Andersen, Mitchell, Lerma, Wharton (Hughes, 71), Ayew (Edouard, 71), Mateta, Eze (França, 66).

      Subs: Henderson (GK), Clyne, Tomkins, Ozoh, Ahamada, Plange.

      As It Happened