Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

04 May 2018 Venue The Valley Attendance

Kick off 19:00 (UK)

Charlton Athletic U18
2 - 1
Crystal Palace U18

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

U18s Report & Gallery: Charlton Athletic 2-1 Crystal Palace

4 May 2018

The curtain came down on Palace's Under-18 side’s season with a 2-1 defeat by local rivals Charlton in the Under 18 Professional Development League Play-Off final despite Joseph Hungbo's penalty.

The young Eagles enjoyed a fantastic campaign and finish as overall league runners up, having won the southern section title, but fell at the final hurdle. 

It was a battling performance but Charlton showed their quality with two excellent goals.

The first half was an even affair, with neither side creating many clear-cut chances. James Daly struck a half-volley wide of the Addicks’ goal after just three minutes but the first real opportunity of the game fell to the Eagles as Lewis Bryon played in Sean Robertson and the wideman worked some space to fire a shot only to see it cannon off the post.

The game was full of nervous energy on both sides, but both Tariq Ossai and Tyrick Mitchell were excellent defensively to halt some promising moves.

Just as Palace thought they would go into half-time level they suffered a hammer blow as Albie Morgan capitalised on a missed header to drive a low shot past Oliver Webber into the bottom corner and put the Addicks ahead.

It was the hosts who came out the stronger in the second half as Palace struggled with several players having played 120 minutes in the under-23 game in midweek. Rob Street replaced Jude Russell early in the second half.

Webber was called into action on 65 minutes when he made an excellent save with his feet to prevent his side going further behind.

But he was powerless to prevent Charlton doubling their lead five minutes later.

The hosts attacked down the Palace right and a clever dummy allowed them time to switch play to the left and drill a low ball across the face of goal which was accordingly turned home from close range by Brendan Sarpong-Wiredu after 70 minutes.

But Paddy McCarthy's side refused to give up and found themselves with a lifeline with 15 minutes remaining when Joseph Hungbo was brought down inside the area after getting behind his man. The Eagles’ top scorer duly stepped up to coolly slot home the resulting penalty to score his 15th goal of the season.

Ryan Hanson replaced the exhausted Lewis Bryon with five minutes remaining and helped Palace push forward in the closing stages with his tenacity and energy but failed to convert a half chance in the final seconds as the young Eagles were unable to find a way through.

Despite the defeat, they can look back at their season with pride. Several players who will form the core of next season's side have also featured regularly.  

Palace: Webber; Ossai, Matthews, Mitchell; Russell (Street 53’), Bryon (Hanson 85’), Boateng, Hungbo; Pierrick, Robertson; Daly (c).

Subs not used: Funnell, Baptiste, Malcolm

Goal: Hungbo 76’

Advertisement block

Advertisement block