Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/08/2012

21 August 2012


Crystal Palace made the journey down the M4 to open their away match programme against a side who also lost their opening game of the season, Bristol City.

Dougie Freedman named an unchanged side for the game and had to name his side with a number of players unavailable due to injury.

The home side took the early advantage with two goals in the opening minutes. Firstly Ryan Taylor fired home from inside the box after a short corner was headed back across the goal and when a second header struck the crossbar the ball came back out to Taylor who made no mistake putting City ahead.

Just three minutes later the lead was extended. A long ball upfield saw Martyn Woolford get clear of his man and he ran on to calmly lob the ball over Julian Speroni into the net as he came towards the edge of his area to try and cut out the danger.

 minute. Taylor found himself in space in front of goal as he latched onto a ball played upfield by Woolford and his header looped over the top of Speroni but the ball hit the crossbar as the goalkeeper scrambled back towards goal.thThe woodwork denied the home side a chance for a third in the 26

Jon Stead was the next from City asking the questions of the Palace defence with a shot that went wide of the target and then he got in to a fine position with only Speroni to beat but the keeper produced an excellent save to deny the tall striker.

At the other end Palace did have a couple of chances of their own as Mile Jedinak got on the end of a free-kick and just minutes later Owen Garvan had a shot from distance saved low down to his left by City goalkeeper Tom Heaton.

A couple of opportunities came for the visitors at the start of the second half as Wilfried Zaha found Kagisho Dikgacoi but his shot was blocked and the clearance came back out to Joel Ward only for his effort to fly over the bar.

The margin was extended for the home side when Dean Moxey was adjudged to have fouled Stead and referee Michael Naylor pointed to the spot. The striker got himself up off the floor and converted the penalty as he fired the ball past Speroni, despite the keeper going the right way.

The home side continued to cause problems and Speroni saw a header from Taylor go over him again onto the roof of the net and then a shot from distance from Albert Adomah went just inches wide of the keeper's right hand post.

Freedman made his first change of the night as Kwesi Appiah entered the fray and he was soon played in by Owen Garvan only to be denied by a fine save from Heaton.

The keeper though could do nothing about Palace's next attack. Garvan down the left put the cross over in front of goal and the ball was put into the net by Kagisho Dikgacoi, for his second goal of the season.

Palace nearly further reduced the advantage when substitute Kyle De Silva played Mile Jedinak in but Heaton put the Australian's effort out for a corner and play immediately went up the other end.

The ball fell to Adomah outside the box and he made no mistake firing the ball and City's fourth of the night into the corner of the net.

Palace never fully recovered from their poor early start which proved costly for Freedman's side and meant a disappointing first trip on the road for the 700 Palace fans at Ashton Gate. 

Bristol City: Heaton,Foster,Fontaine, Carey,Stead (Elliott 79),Woolford,Skuse, Pearson (Morris 88), Cunningham,Taylor (Davies 84), Adomah.

Subs not used: Gerken, Pitman, Wilson, Anderson.

Booked: Foster, Carey

Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Parr, Martin, Dikgacoi (De Silva 77), Garvan, Jedinak, Zaha, Wilbraham, Moxey (Appiah 59), Ramage.

Subs not used: Price, Wright, O'Keefe, Dorman, Parsons.

Booked: Moxey and Dikgacoi.

Referee: Mr M Naylor - Attendance: 12,227.

Advertisement block