Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Hull City 0-0 Palace

27 November 2012



Palace took a well-earned point from their second trip north in four days after weathering an excellent first half performance from Hull before missing two late opportunities to take all three points.

Robbie Brady created the first chance of the night as he played in a cross from the wing but no one was able to connect with the loose ball as it came across goal. 

Then Sone Aluko should have opened the scoring when he got in behind the Palace defence and found himself in front of goal but Mile Jedinak cleared the danger.

The game was played in difficult conditions with rain sweeping across the stadium and the home side continued to create chances with a number falling to Robert Koren.

First the experienced midfielder put a cross from Brady wide from 12 yards out and then he headed wide from a corner before getting on the end of a deflected effort from Aluko, but from just six yards out he put the ball over the bar.

The opening half continued at a fast pace and at the other end Wilfried Zaha saw his shot from the edge of the box blocked before the home side took control of the half again with Stephen Quinn to the fore.

It was Quinn who had the first opportunity of the second period when he made his way into the box, Julian Speroni did well to push his effort away but the rebound fell to Aluko whose effort was deflected out of play.

A couple of further chances were missed by the home side before Ian Holloway made a change, as Aaron Wilbraham replaced Jermaine Easter.

Despite the change, Speroni was soon called upon again and he did well to deny Koren when the ball dropped to the Slovenian at the far post but the keeper saved well.

The visitors finished the game the stronger of the two sides with their wide men causing the home side problems. Zaha looked to be through on goal and was clipped by the last man and the defender was given a yellow as the striker looked to be away from him. Then Bolasie nearly made the most of a poor back pass as he reacted quickly to an error, only to put his effort inches wide of the post.

In an all-action finish both sides were going for the win and as Aaron McLean got the better of his man, Speroni produced a wonderful save to deny the substitute. 

At the other end, Zaha produced a moment of magic to beat a couple of defenders but his shot was saved by David Stockdale, with Wilbraham well-placed inside him, as Palace had to settle for a draw.

Hull City: David Stockdale, Paul McShane, James Chester, Alex Bruce, Robbie Brady (Liam Rosenior 84), Ahmed Elmohamady, David Meyler, Corry Evans, Stephen Quinn, Robert Koren (Nick Proschwitz 76), Sone Aluko (Aaron Mclean 76).

Subs Not Used: Eldin Jakupovic, Abdoulaye Faye, Paul McKenna, Jay Simpson.

Palace: Julian Speroni, Joel Ward, Jonathan Parr, Yannick Bolasie, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Owen Garvan, Mile Jedinak, Wilfried Zaha, Jermaine Easter (Aaron Wilbraham 61), Damien Delaney, Peter Ramage.

Subs Not Used: Lewis Price, Aaron Martin, Dean Moxey, Stuart O’Keefe, Kwesi Appiah, Danny Gabbidon.

Referee: Mr D. Drysdale. Attendance: 16,656.

Advertisement block