Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Academy Report: Palace 5-3 Liverpool

29 October 2012

Having beaten Fulham the weekend before, Palace's under 18s side secured their second straight win in an eight-goal thriller as they beat Liverpool 5-3 last Saturday.

The visitors took an early lead when Nathan Quirk's whipped corner was powered home by a determined Kristoffer Peterson to put Palace on the back foot after just two minutes.

The home side responded well though and after Sully Kai-Kai had tested the Reds keeper from distance he wasn't to be denied moments later when he latched onto a Jake Gray through ball to cooly slot home and level the scores.

The Eagles found themselves in front thanks to a goal from the penalty spot when trialist Derek Tieku was brought down by the onrushing Ryan Fulton. Captain Connor Dymond took on the responsibility from 12 yards and sent the keeper the wrong way.

In an end-to-end encounter only a brilliant reflex save from Tom King denied Peterson his second goal of the game to keep his side in the lead, and Hiram Boateng hit the post at the other end following brilliant footwork from Elijah Gabsi.

Just before half-time the young Eagles gave themselves a bit of breathing space by establishing a two goal lead when Kai-Kai found himself out wide and crossed for Gray to bury a header into the top corner.

The home side continued to push for more goals after the interval and Kai-Kai almost added his second with a rocket of a free-kick which rattled the crossbar. At the other end King was in inspired form and produced a pair of quality saves from Swede Peterson and winger Sam Gainford.

The game grew more open as time elapsed - Liverpool's Lloyd Jones hit the crossbar with a header before the visiting keeper denied Tieku, but Palace were pegged back when Gainford  made it 3-2 20 minutes from time.

However a flurry of goals ensured an exciting finish to the match and a brilliant individual effort from Gray restored the home side's two goal lead a minute later. The winger picked the ball up just inside the opposition's half, beat two defenders and surged into the box before slotting home.

Having re-established their healthy lead, Palace then gave Liverpool a great chance to get back into the game as Jordan Lussey converted a penalty, but the win was secured after a perfect pass from Gray found Kai-Kai who magnificently chipped the ball over the onrushing keeper to round off the scoring.

Advertisement block