Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18s Report: Palace 0-0 Brentford

25 November 2013

After suffering defeat in their last three league matches, Palace's academy side found some comfort by drawing at Beckenham against Brentford, but will be disappointed they failed to snatch a win in a match that saw chances go begging at either end. 

In a tightly contested affair it was the early threat of Elliot List for the home side that nearly broke the deadlock. After a cagey start, the striker burst past his marker and into the visitors' box before delivering an ominous looking cutback, but it narrowly missed the onrushing Palace attackers. 

Adopting a high pressing game Palace found some joy in unsettling the opposition, limiting the Bees to a solitary long-range effort in the first 20 minutes from James Ferry which failed to trouble David Gregory between the sticks. 

It did however take 25 minutes before Nik Tzanev in the Brentford goal was tested courtesy of a stinging Mandela Egbo free-kick whose powerful strike was unfortunately arrowed straight at the keeper. 

With the match starting to open up, both sides found their best opportunities via counter attacks, and Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong had to be alert in his own box as he cleared off his own goal line after Courtney Senior managed to escape in behind the defence but fired straight at Gregory. 

In a frantic end to the first half both sides looked capable of scoring, with perhaps the visitors squandering the best chances to take the lead. However Gregory was once again on hand to beat away a curling effort after Sieka Jatta cut inside his marker and found space to shoot, whilst Palmer almost got on the end of Will Hoare's defence splitting pass, only to find Tzanev bearing down on him to smother the danger.  

The second half saw a slightly calmer approach to proceedings with clear cut chances held to a minimum at either end. Brentford did however manage to create the more dangerous opportunities, and Fabien Rowe's stinging effort after 50 minutes from just inside the box was matched equally by Gregory with a strong save to his right. 

The Eagles shot-stopper was then called into action twice more as the away side pressed for the win, but he would not be beaten with two more decent saves that highlighted a solid performance. 

In the end it finished goalless with positives to take from various parts of the game, especially a hard-fought clean sheet as the youngsters continue to impose themselves on this league.

Advertisement block