Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Loan Round-Up: Appiah Keeps U's In Cup

10 December 2014

Kwesi Appiah struck in injury-time to keep Cambridge United in the FA Cup as he and fellow Palace loanee Sullay Kaikai helped the U's to a 2-2 draw at home against Mansfield Town.

The striker pounced in the box to score from close range in the final minute and notch his eighth goal of the season to force a replay at Field Mill, with the winner of that tie facing Bury or Luton in the third round.

Meanwhile Kaikai saw a free-kick well saved in that game at the Abbey Stadium before departing from the field after 51 minutes.

Also in cup action were Peter Ramage's Barnsley who will also have to face a tricky replay as the Tykes were held by Conference side Chester to a goalless draw at Oakwell, and could be without the defender who limped off in the 20th minute.

Sheffield United progressed to the third round with a 3-0 win against Plymouth Argyle but Paddy McCarthy sat out the game to avoid being cup-tied, and Ryan Inniss missed Yeovil Town's 1-1 draw with Accrington Stanley through suspension - the winner of that replay receives the added bonus of a home tie against Manchester United in the third round.

Stephen Dobbie's Fleetwood Town, Jerome Binnom-Williams' Southend United and Alex Wynter's Portsmouth had all been knocked out in the first round so the trio enjoyed a weekend off.

Away from the cup, there was a full programme of Championship action and there were successes for a pair of Eagles as Stuart O'Keefe helped Blackpool to their first win in nine games against Birmingham City, but the Seasiders remain eight points adrift of safety, and Adlene Guedioura came on for the final seven minutes of Watford's 5-0 victory at Fulham with the Hornets already four goals ahead.

Elsewhere Glenn Murray played all of Reading's 0-0 draw against Bolton Wanderers, for whom Owen Garvan's loan deal has now expired. The Irishman played three times for the Trotters in September but failed to make an appearance following Neil Lennon's arrival at the Macron Stadium.

Jack Hunt was an unused substitute for Nottingham Forest's 1-1 draw with Charlton Athletic, the third successive game he has sat out the entire match for the Reds, and Jonny Williams was once again unable to play in Ipswich Town's emphatic 4-1 demolition of Leeds United as they remain second in the table.

In the Conference Michael Chambers played two matches in the space of three days as his side drew 0-0 with Bristol Rovers before beating Telford United 2-1 on Tuesday night to pull clear from the drop-zone, and David Gregory couldn't prevent his Bishop's Stortford side losing 3-2 to Bromley.

Advertisement block