Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Premier League Round Up: Thursday 3rd July

3 July 2014


As the countdown continues to the start of the 2014/15 Barclays Premier League season, we take a look at the news surrounding Crystal Palace's top flight rivals. 

BURNLEY

 Clarets have made their second signing of the summer after snapping up former Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks on a free transfer.The

The Scotland international will provide cover for last season's first-choice Tom Heaton, and brings top-flight experience to Turf Moor having played in the Premier League during his time with the Seasiders.

As well as the signing of Michael Kightly from Stoke City, veteran defender Michael Duff has also signed a one-year contract extension at the club.

Duff is the only survivor from the side that last experienced life in England's top tier back in 2009, and is relishing the opportunity to feature more regularly this time around.

He said: “I wanted to stay, obviously, because it’s another chance in the Premier League and following the season we had getting there last season.

“It took me until I was 30 to get there the first time around and then I was injured for the first three months.

“That, and getting relegated, made it a disappointment, so to get another opportunity at 36, when you think it may have gone, was something to grab with both hands.”


LEICESTER CITY
 
Midfielder Matty James has penned a new four year contract with the Foxes as they head into their first season in the top-flight since 2004.

The former Manchester United academy graduate has been an integral part of the side since moving to the King Power Stadium two years ago and made 35 appearances last term to help Leicester lift the Championship trophy.

On extending his stay with the club, he said: "Heading into the Premier League, after the unbelievable season we've just had, to sign a four-year deal with this club is just fantastic.

"The club's got an exciting future. I'm delighted I'm going to be part of it."


LIVERPOOL

One transfer that is set to rumble throughout the summer is that of Luis Suarez's proposed £80m move to Barcelona, after the first talks between the Catalan giants and Liverpool began yesterday.

A delegation from Spain met with Reds chief executive Ian Ayre in London to begin thrashing out negotiations for the Uruguayan striker who is currently banned for four months after his biting incident at the World Cup.

It had been thought that Barca would offer a cut-price deal for the shamed Suarez, but tabled an opening bid of £70m which wasn't accepted by the Merseysiders who apparently value last season's Premier League Golden Boot winner at £80m.

A potential stumbling block in the move is that Liverpool want Chilean attacker Alexis Sanchez as part of the deal, but it is unknown if the man who scored twice in his national side's run to the World Cup knockout stages wants to move to England. 

One player who is on his way to Anfield though is former Tottenham defender Kevin Stewart who arrives on a free transfer after being released at the end of the season.


MANCHESTER CITY

There is set to be another busy summer of arrivals and departures in the blue half of Manchester as Manuel Pellegrini's men aim to retain their Premier League crown.

It looks as though Samir Nasri is set to sign a new contract at the club after proving himself to be a key player for the Citizens last season, netting seven goals last season including key strikes in the title-run in against Sunderland and West Ham United.

However Micah Richards' 12 year stint at the Etihad Stadium looks to be coming to an end with the out of favour right-back expected to depart soon after the arrival of Bacary Sagna, with Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle all touted as possible destinations.

And James Milner's future is also uncertain with the England winger also far from happy with his lack of first-team starts, potentially further depleting City's crop of home-grown players.


MANCHESTER UNITED
  
Louis van Gaal will look to continue his summer spending spree by attempting to add Portuguese midfielder William Carvalho to his ranks for around £37m.

The Sporting Lisbon player has a release clause in his contract that would allow him to talk to other clubs should that fee be offered, but after United splashed out nearly £60m on Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw last week Sporting have said Carvalho will be another expensive purchase.

Director Augusto Ignacio has been quoted as saying: “It’s not like the old days when players left Sporting at any price.

“We are not concerned with William Carvalho because we have alternatives who will want to play as well.

“The termination clause ensures a great deal for Sporting. I am very pleased with the negotiations.”

One such player who made a bargain move between the two clubs was Cristiano Ronaldo who swapped Lisbon for Manchester in 2003 for £12.5m.


TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Mauricio Pochettino is allegedly aiming to make Swansea left-back Ben Davies his first signing since swapping Southampton for White Hart Lane this summer.

Talks between Spurs and Swansea have been taking place over the past couple of weeks and despite a fee being agreed last week, the Welsh club's chairman Huw Jenkins has decided to search for better terms.

The 21-year-old has become a regular in the side since breaking through during the 2012/13 season and has gone on to also establish himself in the Wales national team, winning 10 caps so far.

Meanwhile Swansea have made Marvin Emnes' transfer from Middlesbrough permanent after the striker enjoyed a successful loan spell at the Liberty Stadium in the latter months of last season.


Advertisement block