Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Crystal Palace 1-0 Swansea City

24 May 2015

A Marouane Chamakh goal was all that was needed to ensure Palace finished in the top half of the top-flight for the first time since 1992 after they beat Swansea City to enjoy a perfect end to a superb season.

The Moroccan striker pounced 10 minutes after the restart to hand his side the win, and results elsewhere meant that Palace leapfrogged Everton and West Ham United to finish 10th in the table, their highest ever finish in the Premier League and a record points tally of that era of 48 points.

Palace controlled the game throughout and started the better. Mile Jedinak skied a shot well over in the opening five minutes, Jason Puncheon went much closer with a blast from the edge of the box which rose narrowly over the crossbar.

With the season heading to a close Wayne Hennessey continued in goal for the Eagles and he was forced into a stop when Jack Cork dived to head a corner towards his net, and at the other end Yannick Bolasie teased his way past Kyle Naughton but could only find Lukasz Fabianski.

However the game petered out after an exciting opening 20 minutes with both sides committing niggly fouls in the middle of the park which prevented any real attacking action, and they went into the break goalless although Palace were forced into a reshuffle when James McArthur limped off 10 minutes before the interval.

A minute after the restart Hennessey forced to block a Marvin Emnes attempt from 25 yards, but on 55 minutes Palace deservedly grabbed the lead. Puncheon lofted a free-kick into the area and it was nodded back across goal by Player of the Year Scott Dann into the path of Chamakh who brilliantly took a touch on his chest before thrashing the ball past Fabianski from close range.

Joy turned to despair for the striker though as he suffered a reoccurrence of the hamstring injury that has plagued his season when he chased a loose ball heading towards goal and was forced off, and seconds after his withdrawal Jedinak got his had onto another Puncheon delivery by Fabianski grabbed the ball on the goalline to prevent the skipper from doubling the lead.

Alan Pardew’s side dominated the second half and Wilfried Zaha rippled the side netting when he sped into the area and stabbed the ball goalwards but narrowly saw it go off target and Puncheon saw an attempted curler caught by Fabianski, but the one goal was enough to ensure the season was signed off in style.

Palace: Hennessey, Ward, Dann, Hangeland, Souare, Jedinak, McArthur (Murray 35), Zaha, Puncheon, Bolasie (Campbell 80), Chamakh (Mutch 65). Subs: Speroni, Delaney, Kelly, Lee.

Swansea: Fabianski, Naughton, Bartley, Fernandez, Richards, Dyer (Barrow 63), Cork, Britton (Grimes 69), Montero (Gorre 83), Emnes, Gomis. Subs: Tremmel, Rangel, Fulton, Hanley.

Advertisement block