Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U21 Report: Crystal Palace 3-3 Millwall

25 January 2016

Palace nearly ended their long wait for a victory in the Professional Development League 2 but two late goals for Millwall ensured the spoils were shared.

Gary Issott named a strong side including Marouane Chamakh, Dwight Gayle and Martin Kelly, and after being behind at the break second half goals from Jacob Berkeley-Agyepong, Jerome Binnom-Williams and Randell Williams put them in control before ultimately having to settle for a point.

The second-placed Lions were unbeaten in nine games and settled the quicker with Ben Thompson firing well off target twice in the opening eight minutes before John Marquis dragged a low attempt just wide from the edge of the area.
Millwall then forced Kleton Perntreou into his first save when Kris Twardek found Marquis in the area and despite struggling to find a decent angle, the striker got a shot away but the Albanian stopper managed to push it around his post.

As the half went on Palace improved and began to carve out some opportunities with Gayle going close twice in quick succession, firstly seeing a low shot comfortably saved by ex-Eagles youngster Tom King, before a curling free-kick from the attacker whistled fractions past the far post.

But in the half’s final stages the visitors got themselves in front. Jamil Philpot had time to turn and fizz the ball across the face of goal where Fred Onyedinma was on hand to scramble the ball in off the post from eight yards out. 

The Eagles dominated for the majority of the second half and on 53 minutes Hiram Boateng’s perfect free-kick allowed Berkeley-Agyepong to head into the top corner, and 60 seconds later the winger linked up with Binnom-Williams on the left and the full-back managed to squeeze past King and score via the post.

Back came Millwall and Sid Nelson forced Perntreou into a flying stop with a header, but on 68 minutes it was 3-1 when Berkeley-Agyepong released Williams and he scored a brilliant first-time dink over the advancing keeper.

That looked to have clinched it for Issott’s men but eight minutes later Onyedinma netted his second of the game when he clipped the ball past Perntreou at the near post, and with 10 minutes to go Philpot nearly converted a chip of his own but hit the crossbar.

However with four minutes to go the two-goal man got the ball on the byline and lofted it towards the back post where Twardek managed to get the faintest of touches to prod the ball over the line and complete the scoring.

Palace: Perntreou, Wynter, Croll, Kelly, Binnom-Williams, R. Williams, Boateng, Dreher, Berkeley-Agyepong (Phillips 85), Gayle (Allassani 46), Chamakh (Andrews 79). Subs not used: McAdden, O'Dwyer.

Millwall: King, Romeo, Nelson, Wood, Chesmain, Onyedinma, Thompson (Farrell 68), Powell, Twardek, Marquis, Philpot. Subs not used: Girling, Parr, Nojoli, Eze.

Advertisement block