Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23 Report: Crystal Palace 0-2 Huddersfield

11 October 2016

Palace’s development side slipped to a second straight defeat as they were beaten 2-0 by Huddersfield Town in their first league game of the season at Selhurst Park.

Two first-half goals for the Terriers put the game out of the Eagles’ reach, and indeed they were indebted to the woodwork as it was hit three times by the visitors after the restart.

Richard Shaw was able to name Fraizer Campbell, Mathieu Flamini and Jordon Mutch in his side, and after nine minutes the latter had the first attempt on goal but after dispossessing a defender he blasted the ball into the side-netting, and then from the midfielder’s free-kick Ben Wynter couldn’t get enough of a touch onto the ball to divert it past George Dorrington.

However the Terriers came back into the game and Rekeil Pyke was thwarted by a brave tackle by Sam Woods, but the ball was recycled and Ollie Dyson carved out a second opportunity when he got inside the area, and forced Kleton Perntreou into a good one-handed save.

But another threatening attack on 25 minutes culminated in a spot-kick when Jordan Williams’ cross saw Pyke go down inside the box, and Jack Boyle sent Perntreou the wrong way from 12 yards.

Buoyed by their goal, Huddersfield continued to look the more threatening and Pyke bent a shot just wide with 10 minutes of the half remaining before long-rangers from Boyle and Sam Warde failed to trouble the Eagles keeper.

But the winger did get onto the scoresheet just before half-time. After attacking down the right once again, some mis-control in the Palace defence was punished and Warde scuffed in off the post to make it 2-0 at the break.

After the restart the pace of Pyke once again caused problems and he fired wide on 50 minutes, but the Eagles had a great chance to pull one back soon after when Aaron Wan-Bissaka released Campbell who looked set to roll the ball into the bottom corner but instead sent it wide.

Mutch forced Dorrington into a good save 60 seconds later with a drive from 30 yards, but Huddersfield nearly managed to seal the win when they won two free-kicks in dangerous areas, and after Regan Booty rattled the post, the same man fired one just wide soon after.

The woodwork was hit again when Boyle cut inside from the right and beat Perntreou but not the crossbar, and in the final stages Warde would again be denied by the same piece of the goalframe as it was struck for the third time in the second half.

Palace: Perntreou, King-Elliott, Wynter, Woods, Akiotu, Flamini (Husin 62), Dreher, Wan-Bissaka, Mutch (Williams 88), Berkeley-Agyepong, Campbell (Andrews 62). Subs not used: McAdden, Sturgess.

Huddersfield: Dorrington, Williams, Kane, Hanson, O’Hanlan, Tear, Dyson (Carvalho 65), Booty, Warde, Boyle, Pyke. Subs not used: Schofield, Scott, Horsfall, Cogill.

Advertisement block