- Jean-Philippe Mateta misses from close range after a fast Palace break.
- A heroic last-ditch challenge denies Wilfried Zaha.
- Zaha rounds two defenders but fires wide after cutting inside.
- HT: Ipswich Town 0-0 Palace
- Both sides hit the woodwork in a frantic start to the second-half.
- Mateta strikes the post for a second time moments later.
- Zaha is fouled in the area and steps up to dispatch the penalty.
- Marc Guehi makes his first appearance in a Palace shirt.
- FT: Ipswich Town 0-1 Palace
A vibrant atmosphere greeted the players as the six thousand fans generated the noise of many thousands more, plenty in the red-and-blue of Palace.
The fervour only grew due to the Eagles bright start, with Vieira’s men creating a flurry of chances to take the lead early on.
The first fell to Jean-Philippe Mateta, found just outside the six-yard box after a dangerous breakaway from Jeffrey Schlupp and Wilfried Zaha, but the Frenchman slipped as he looked certain to score and his effort fell wide.
Zaha and Schlupp were proving a real danger as Palace broke quickly. First Schlupp’s volley was blocked, before Zaha was denied by a heroic last-ditch challenge.